Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bad Blogger! No Biscuit!

I know I know. Once again I have been a delinquent blogger but to my own defense goes this statement: Most of you follow me on Facebook so you are up to date (almost hourly) on the happenings in my world.

There. That's the best defense I have...and I know it's lame...but it's all I have. :)

It's the end of the school year around here and life as both a mom and a PTO VP is incredibly busy. I signed on for yet another year of the PTO which is bound to keep me busy but at least we will all have a better sense of what we're doing. We even set up a planning meeting for next week so we can map out the year ahead and get all the events on the calendar months ahead of time. This will help reduce the stress surrounding "Oh right - next week we want to do XYZ....like we've done in years past." In the new year we will have an idea of what is about to smack us in the face *before* it actually does and, in my book, that's a win!

Tomorrow is Field Day which is going to be so much fun for the kids. I'm excited for them but honestly? Not all that thrilled to be standing in the field for hours on end. I'm sure it will be good - I'm just hoping it doesn't decide to be 90 degrees.

Thursday marks the end of Kelton's first grade year and the beginning of life as a second grader. A second grader. A second grader? My word. How did that happen? He is a bag of mixed emotions. Happy for summer but so sad to be leaving his friends and teacher and the security of a routine he knows inside out and upside down. He is busy collecting phone numbers and handing out his in the hopes that we can arrange some afternoon play dates with friends. Our summer schedule is a bit on the busy end of the spectrum with karate lessons, swimming lessons and day camps but I'm willing to bet some time can be found in there to meet up with his a couple of his friends.

He has been talking non-stop for weeks now about the teacher he wants for next year. I have tried to temper that with "Well you know - your teacher and the second grade teachers and the principal have been working really hard to find just the right placement for you for next year so we have to trust they know what they are doing." It's always met with "Yeah I know but I really, really want Mr. X. He is so good at math and I love math!" I admit I've been nervous for him hoping that he gets the teacher he wants.

Today while I was in working on stuff for field day I overheard a teacher and front office staff talking about "next years class lists finally being done". AH HA! I sidled up to the desk and said "I don't suppose you can tell me....." I am thrilled for Kelton because they placed him with his desired teacher. He is going to be so, so happy!!! I am not going to tell him. Instead I will let him read the placement sheet that will be coming home with his report card on Thursday. I can't wait to hear his scream of happiness. :)

We're still deep into karate (and will be until mid-December) and Kelton is really excelling. I was so proud of him yesterday in class - doing his best, calling out the answers when asked, etc. It's fun to watch him grow in this way right before my eyes. Friday is graduation and he will be moving to a yellow belt! Hard to believe that our white belt days are almost behind us.

When I look around I see a lot of change. Good change but change none the less. I know we are all needing some down time to re-energize ourselves and reconnect as a family and I'm hopeful that the summer months will be just that for us. The kids and I are still on our own until the last day of July and then in August we can all be together on weekends and evenings.

What a crazy, busy and amazing life.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

And we won't mention farm town as a distraction from the blogging, lol.

I find my blogging days are hit and miss as well. Some weeks there is lots to talk about, others...not so much.

So cute with the phone numbers, and hello? Class lists already? Ours didn't come out til the week before school started. We'd all check the office windows daily until they went up, then we'd gather around and read and figure out who was in our class.

Audra said...

I remember field days being so much fun!