Tuesday, December 18, 2007

This Is New

As we all adjust to life without Jaxon I am discovering that the furry ones in the family are taking up new routines and new places to hang out. It's weird. But then - everything feels weird without "the warden" patrolling and keeping everyone in line. I have noticed that there are turf wars happening every now and again and sometimes, just for the fun of it, Lucy (the gray cat in the below picture) will jump poor Dallas and pin her to the ground. Without Jaxon to stick her big nose into things, the cats have decided it's time to shuffle the "top cat" position. It should be interesting to see who comes out on top.

This photo of Lucy I snapped yesterday. Never before has she been seen in a laundry basket so I thought that was odd enough to warrant a photo but as if that wasn't odd enough, when I tried to scoot her out so I could fold she actually growled at me like I was a teenager I was kicking off their playstation 3. Now mind you, it wasn't that the basket was left unattended for hours on end which gave her full rights to claim it as a bed for the day. No - quite the opposite is true. I emptied the dryer into the basket, went to the kitchen to throw out the lint from the lint trap and returned to find her in the basket. Yes, it was that quick.

Like I said - things in our animal kingdom are very strange at the moment.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Well, she does look very happy and cozy. I'd probably not want to move either! :o)

Caroline said...

Oh, that makes me think of Brady. He loved sleeping in the hamper. I am so glad that I always let him sleep in there even if that meant the clothes weren't put away until the next morning.

It used to be that my cat Astro was the dominant cat, but now that both Astro and Brady are gone Ben seems to think he is in chare now. It is very interesting watching the furry friends adjust when there is a loss.

Shannon said...

Cute picture, and very cute cat. It is funny how they change after another animal is gone. Our cat Molly's personality seemed to change after Taz died too. He was the dominant cat, but now that he's gone, she's settled quite nicely into her role as "only pet", and she speaks up a lot more!

Monogram Queen said...

It is a big change when one goes. We only had Holly four months but Reilly is like a little lost lamb. Heck i'm like a little lost lamb too. :( It will all work out. Again I am so sorry.

Lynilu said...

It is interesting how they shift and change. I can't help but think it is like children leaving home. When one leave, the others shift and fill many of the "empty" spots. It happened every time at our house. So ... just assume that the other 4-leggers are trying to fill the gap left by Jaxon. :')

Sheri said...

She does look pretty cozy. Maybe she just wanted to make sure everything was "really" dry (a little kitty warmth to ensure it). Hmmm, now if you could only teach HER how to fold the laundry