Thursday, May 31, 2007

Reading!

Oh my gosh - I am loving the ages of my kids. For many reasons but not the least of which is I am finding I can sneak in a few minutes here and there for reading. Reading has been a lost love for me over most of the past five years. I had a few good months in there when Kelton was about two and a half and I was pregnant with Kaylen. During those autumn evenings and stolen daytime moments I managed to read four, count 'em, four books!

And then came baby #2 and every since the books I have been wanting to read are piling up on my dresser. Sad, but true.

I recently started getting my two favorite parenting magazines again (a birthday gift from Dakota's mom) and I have managed to find time to read them before the next months arrives. No small feat around here considering Dakota's work, school and study schedule permits for very few (did I get any this past school year?) child free hours. So now that I know I can get through magazines within just a few days I decided to make the leap and buy a couple of books. Yes, I said couple. As in two. It's a bold move but I have faith......and 14 weeks in which to try to read them before the next school year starts. :)

In one of the previously mentioned parenting magazines I saw a snip-it for a book and I was intrigued. The title alone made me run for the computer to do a search. It's called "I Was A Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids". How could you not love that title?

I scanned through the pages on Amazon and liked what I saw. I'm too impatient for mail order though if I can run out and pick it up locally so I called Borders and they held a copy for me. I raced over after Dakota arrived home from work.

While there, child free, I looked around for a few minutes. I happened upon another book that looks pretty interesting. "The Birthdays" Now, to be honest, it may have been the cover that was calling me - could is look any more relaxing? I can't wait to start it....but first things first.

As soon as I arrived home I plopped down in a chair on the patio and cracked open the first book. I read through a bit of it while the kids played in the yard and I am seriously loving it. I can't wait to get back to it.

Reading. I'm actually reading. That's so cool. :)

9 comments:

Froggymama said...

I hear ya. When I was pregnant with Froggy I read about 30 books! Half pregnancy/childrearing and the other half, my delicious fiction and a few nonfiction - to keep my brain working. Since Froggy was born, I think I've read a fortune cookie, and a cartoon from The New Yorker. So sad. :(

Brenda said...

I've been meaning to tell you to read "Marley and Me". Perrin blogged about it a few months ago. Amy let me borrow her copy and I loved it. If you are a dog lover, you will enjoy this book. Put it on your list!! :o)

Perrin said...

The books do look intriguing. You'll have to let me know how they are. I am "between books" right now and in a non-reading phase. I need to get back to it.

Jojo said...

Before Boo I read a lot. After Boo I still read, but time was an issue. Since I quit smoking I can barely read at all(ADHD). Sigh.

Monogram Queen said...

I am just getting into being able to read again also. Last night I sat in the swing while Maddie rode her Bug and played in the yard. Heaven!

Sonya said...

Good for you!

Mieke said...

Reading is a wonderful thing. Lucky to have found something to tempt you. I am back to the grind and reading $120 books that are really really thick. Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking calls me but she will have to wait for the three weeks I have off.

You sound better. I am glad.

Casey said...

FroggyMama: Agreed! Sometimes I think my mind has turned to mush. :)

Brenda: Will do! And be sure to get a copy of the book about mommyhood. I cannot say enough good things about it. Really.

Perrin: Will do!

JoJo: Congrats on quitting smoking!

Patti_Cake: Isn't it just the best??

Sonya: Thanks!

Mieke: Thanks - I'm actually feeling balanced about everything. Having the time I did sure helped. Are you attending summer classes??

Gandksmom said...

I love to read. I used to read all the time and now I am into one of my not reading phases for some reason. I am now reading Life Of Pi which is very interesting. I am actually going to look into the book that you have there. Looks interesting to me!