Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Update

My mom is still among the breathing - though just barely. We are all befuddled as to why since all signs are pointing to the contrary. The hospice nurse thinks she is hanging on until my dad's birthday; which is tomorrow. She suggests we have a birthday party for him in my mom's room and see if that gives her the peace she needs to finally let go.

It sounds reasonable but part of me wonders how she could possible know what day it is considering she has been all but comatose for days and days. *sigh*

I hope she isn't holding out for Mother's Day - I'm not sure any of us can take much more of this. We thought she would go Monday night but rallied at the last moment. That was hard for all of us. So - if you are of the praying sort (good thoughts, etc) then please do my family a great favor by praying, wishing, etc that my mom finds whatever peace she is looking for quickly so that she can move from this incredibly painful place to whatever lies ahead.

We all need to move forward. As emotionally painful as it will be for those of us left behind, the desire for mom to be out of her horrible physical pain outweighs that. It is time that she moves forward. It's time we all do.

11 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

You definitely have my prayers Casey. Have you all actually verbally told her it's okay to go. Maybe she feels there is unfinished business with someone. Just a thought.
I am so sorry for you. :(

Casey said...

Patti: As my brother says, we've done everyting but pack her bag. :) Yes, we've all had our time with her and we all told her we were fine and would continue to be fine and that it was time for her to go. She knows my dad has a new place to live and will be well looked after nd she knows that our one sibling, missing from the family for 3 plus years now, has been informed and is refusing to talk with any of us or to come see her. It was a tough decision to tell her but hospice encouraged it. We know that she isn't surprised by that info - heartbroken, I'm sure, but not surprised. That had been discussed with her a couple months ago that it might happen this way - and it has.

So - we've given "permission" for her to go and again yesterday, in her hour of being "awake" I had another chat with her about it being time to move on to heaven. She looks so scared and I feel so bad for her but the pain she has when she is awake in unbelievable. It's just time. *sigh*

Thanks for your kind words and for keeping us in your thoughts.

Brenda said...

You have my prayers as well Casey. I'm so sorry.

Jojo said...

Casey, your mom and your family have our deepest prayers to help your mom take the next step on her journey. If she is afraid, I hope she finds peace soon.
jojo

Shannon said...

You and yoru family are definitely in our thoughts and prayers, Casey.

Anonymous said...

Casey, I'm so sorry! We will pray for peace for your mom and strength for the rest of your family.
Jennifer

SassyFemme said...

Casey, one of the things I learned when my parents each passed away was they're not on our time table. When it is her moment, she will pass. I know this time is emotionally draining, though. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.

Lynilu said...

Casey, I hope your mom is able to let go soon, but that is out of your hands. It is good that you've told her it is OK. My husband waited until his son arrived. He was comatose, but we kept telling him how long until Allan would arrive; he let go 2.5 hours later, after having time alone with Allan for about 30 minutes. She will go when it is time for her. I'm sorry you have so much time to watch this. It is very hard, I know. Hugs.

Unknown said...

*HUGS*

I'm praying for you all and for your mom to find her peace and right time to let go. My grandfather waited until I got there, and went a day or two later. Even though it doesn't seem like she knows anything about what day it is, strange as it is sometimes they do. I hope that she finds her peace soon.

Love ya.

Caroline said...

You have my prayers Casey. I know this is very hard on you and your entire family. Peace to all of you, especially your Mom.

Sonya said...

You continue to be in our hearts, minds, and prayers.

It seems like your mom is waiting for something, it is just hard to know what that something is.