Monday, August 25, 2008

Summers End

Autumn has come. Summer is no more. At least, not in the real sense of the word and all it implies.

Dakota starts classes tonight and I will once again be alone with the kidlets all day and all evening and well past their bedtime. Truthfully, I'll be alone until about 30 minutes before my bedtime. Actually, I'd usually already be in bed by the time Dakota comes through the door but I'll stay up so we can have a teeny tiny bit of face time. It sucks.

Yesterday was a hard day for all of us. It was hard to watch the clock knowing the end was coming. The kids had a really hard time saying goodnight and good-bye last night. Dakota was as well. There were many tears from different people at differing times of the day yesterday. Change it hard. It will be four long days before Kaylen sets her eyes on her other mommy. Kelton will probably see her for 15 minutes in the mornings because he is an early riser. This will go on week after week after week.

Yes - we've done this before. For three years we've done this. And it has never, ever easy. Yes, this is the last year we'll have to do this particular dance. It still isn't easy.

The kids are older. That part is good. I'm going through this all again with a three year old - again. That part sucks and for those who have gone through the terrible three's, you know of what I speak. Kelton was three when we started this journey. Now Kaylen is three. I've had two three year olds to deal with mostly alone 24/6 during a three year period. There is a special place in heaven waiting, I have to believe that. :) Three's. Ugh. It's a hard age.

And if today isn't hard enough....let's just add to it that today is (would have been?) my mom's 70th birthday. And oh hey - if those two things aren't enough let's just pour this one top: Maddie the dog chewed through the fence in a back corner of the yard and escaped. Three hours, a trip to Home Depot (where I loaded in fence boards between the kids car seats and where Kelton, inside the store, decided he didn't need to listen to "Don't touch" and ended up knocking several very long, very loud metal pipes onto the floor bringing people running from all directions. Oh yes - it was a stellar moment!), many cuss words, bent nails and way too much frustration later, the fence is fixed and secured. Not exactly the way I wanted to start this adventure but hey - life is what it is.

So here we are. Year four of law school. Year four of being, in essence, a single parent. I'm not really ready but...ready or not here we go.

10 comments:

Shannon said...

Ahh, I'm so sorry. It must be so hard on all of you. :(

Tanya said...

While we are not as in the thick of it as you are, after only one week of downtime after summer school, R is back tonight as well. Problem with us, J will not fall asleep until R is home to say goodnight. In the crib yes, asleep doubtful.

Audra said...

I'm so sorry :( *hugs*

Mimi said...

Oh I wish I was closer so I could give you ALL a big hug...

Caroline said...

I am so sorry Casey. I know these times are so hard for you. Sending you lots of hugs.

Jen said...

Last year. Last one. Just keep repeating it... make a countdown calendar out of post it notes or a paper chain or something!

I'm so sorry. It sounds like an absolutely awful day, and I can't imagine how hard it must be to handle them alone day in and day out. I am not sure I could manage it.

I wish we lived closer to each other. Kaylen could come over for long playdates because I seriously would not notice one more kid, and you could go get yourself a cup of coffee and just breathe for a bit.

momtothreeboys said...

I know I could just say "you did it now for 3 years, what's one more" but I know that doesn't make the here and now any easier.

I'm here...

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness. If anyone can do it, it's you. I know some days will be harder then others. But your love for life will carry you!

Heidi

Tracey said...

I imagine every year is harder than the last as you have more years of the experience behind you. I hope things smooth out and that this year flies by for school.

*hugs* for missing your mom. I am so sorry.

Monogram Queen said...

I sense the melancholy but you have been through it and just keep telling yourself "it's the last year". Think of me, i'm just beginning and it's gonna take awhile.
I think it is maybe harder as the kids get older because they are more aware...
Three IS hard.........