Thursday, August 28, 2008

Beach Time - again

"Again?" I can hear you asking. But yes...again. Only this time it was a day trip with the kids and without Dakota. Over the weekend, as reality came crashing in on our summer bubble of denial, I had a huge urge to run to the nearest beach and hide. The urge wouldn't go away so I started tossing around the idea of take the kids and going to the beach for the day. Seaside is only about 90 minutes away so it was totally doable. Monday I mentioned my idea to Dakota and Tuesday I made plans. I mentioned it to a friend of mine, Jeri, who commiserated with me about wanting to go...so...she packed up her four kids (plus two friends for the older kids) and I packed up my two and off we went yesterday morning.

We left our meeting point at 9:25am and rolled into Seaside at 11:00am. Ahhhhhh!!! It felt so good - and yet so weird without Dakota. I've never been to the beach without her and it was strange.

The kids had made plans with what they wanted to do. All the regular Seaside stuff; the train, the peddle cars, the carousel, the arcade and the beach. I added going to my favorite place to eat, The Pig n' Pancake. And we got it all done. Including a trip to the candy store to buy Dakota's favorite fudge to bring back for her.

We meant to leave Seaside around 2:30 to avoid the slug-hour traffic through Portland but alas, before we turned around twice, it was 3pm. Plans were revised and we opted to leave town around 5:30 which would still allow us to avoid the traffic issue.

The kids and I arrived home at 7pm. I unloaded the car, bathed the kids, showered myself, read stories and put the kids to bed. They were asleep by 8:20. Not bad. After they were asleep I started a load of sandy clothes and unpacked our stuff. By the time Dakota walked in the door at 10:00, it was as if we'd never been away. :)

It was a great day and I can't wait to go back. I do so love the beach - the crashing waves brings me a sense of peace that nothing else can.

Color me happy. :)

10 comments:

Jen said...

Yay! I'm glad you went. It sounds like it was the perfect idea, perfectly executed.

Unknown said...

Yay! Great day, great pictures and great company! Jeri

A Jersey Girl said...

I am totally with you on the beach, I will go at every chance. I have even talked my entire extended family into a Thanksgiving trip to OBX this year- who cares if it is a bit chilly, it is still the beach-

Emily

Monogram Queen said...

Aw so glad you had a last sea jaunt! I love love love the Beach too!

Tanya said...

Very cute. Looks like you had fun. Love the music selection.

Catherine said...

What fun. Glad you had such a special day!

Caroline said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. You are so lucky that you live that close to the beach.

Melanie said...

Yay! Glad you got that last-minute getaway!! :)

Sheri said...

And ... you got me again ... another weepy mommy moment ... I'm completely missing the beach right now ... but, so SO happy that you got such wonderful photos to remember all these moments. It truly looked like another perfect day!

Unknown said...

I didn't even know you and Jeri were still in touch. That's fabulous. Glad you guys had fun.