Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Life; Post Beach

Well...we're home. And not all that thrilled about it either. The countdown is on for back to school. Dakota starts back studying this weekend and classes start Monday. Kelton starts school on September 3rd.

Change is in the air.

It's hard to pretend it isn't happening. The rain is falling and it just feels, and smells, like autumn. Won't be too many weeks before the Halloween decorations make an appearance.

I spent six hours today cleaning and organizing but I have yet to download photos from the beach trip. I will - I just had to get things done today. I've cleaned out and straightened up Kelton's closet and dresser and then set about the chore of having him try on last years school clothes as well as the ones I bought him for this year. And guess what? I was so wrong about the size he would be wearing this year. See...I buy ahead and end of season sales (so that means I buy a year in advance) and store things in bins in the garage so that I always have the next size ready to go. He wore a size 6 in kindergarten so I assumed he would be a 7 for first grade. Ummm..yeah. Not so much. He is still a 6. So instead of starting the school year is shiny new clothes (which I'm sure is way more important to me than it is to him) he will have three new shirts and two new pairs of pants and a few shirts and pants from last year. Damn!

Oshkosh sizes small so size 7 pants and shirts fit. Every thing else I have in 7 is miles too long. The good part is that he will have clothes to grow into (and, at this point, wear for second grade). The bad part is I had picked up some really great clothes that I have been waiting to see him in for first grade. Not exactly life altering, I know but disappointing (for me) none the less.

Then, after getting Kelton's room organized, I was taking things out to the garage to put into bins to pass on to Kelton's cousin when I discovered that in order to get things put away where I needed them to go, I had to do some organizing in the garage. From the garage I moved back inside and completely overhauled the linen closet (because well...I had to make room for the new towels we bought). Inside the linen closet is also all the lotions, powders, cold medicines and acne cream tubes. So all of that needed to be sorted through (and all the post-date things tossed) and organized.

Before I knew it - a solid six hours had passed. Thankfully the kids are recovering from their beach trip and had a low-key day so they stayed busy playing with their toys or watching TV so I could work.

Not exactly a slow-reentry for me but it sure feels good to have so much taken care of. Next up will be downloading and sorting through photos.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your trip sounds great. Can't wait to see pictures.
& great job on the organizing. You've given me motivation...

Lielanie said...

Awesome job, you got alot done!! I am inspired to clean/purge too! :)

Mimi said...

Isn't that something....you start out doing this and end up doing that......glad you had a great trip

Monogram Queen said...

Change... change... change... it's in the air!

Audra said...

Your trip sounds like so much fun! I wish I had some motivation to go through all our stuff!!

Dakota said...

Great job, Honey! Thank you for all of your hard work :)

Wish we were still at the beach....

Brenda said...

It's amazing how quickly 6 hours can fly, isn't it?

When I get in the mood to clean and organize (which isn't often - LOL) I'm always amazed at how quickly the time goes.