Saturday, August 09, 2008

School Supplies

We went shopping for Kelton's "Back To School" supplies this afternoon. Wow - where those aisles crazy! Parents and kids alike grabbing supplies and checking off lists. Kids asking each other "What school do you go to?" and "What grade are you in?" Parents asking "Do you know where there might be more #2 pencils?" and "Where did you find the hand sanitizer?" It was crazy making and yet - fun. Kelton was asking if he could have everything under the sun (No, honey. It's not on the list.). I did splurge and buy a couple packages of glue sticks, crayons, Elmer's glue and washable markers for the house... how could I not when most of the things were $0.22!

I get the whole "baby wipes, hand sanitizer and Kleenex" thing but Ziploc Bags in the quart size? Why? What could they possibly do with that many Ziploc bags? I guess I should be grateful they aren't asking us to purchase diet pills or anything else completely nutty for the back to school crowd. :)

After getting the school supplies we bought Kelton a new pair of school shoes. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I discovered he would need a size 1. Really? We're in the boys to men sizes already? Didn't he just start wearing size 13? Two more sizes to go and he and I will be able to share shoes. (!!!!!)

Kelton decided against a new backpack. He has a good quality one from the latter part of last year (his Spider Man cheap-o backpack only last about half the year before the zipper gave out) and he is happy to use that one again. I was very proud of him for that decision because I had thought he would want a character one. Plus it saved about $20 so that's really good. :)

Back to School time. Hard to believe it will be here in three short weeks for my little First Grader.

8 comments:

Audra said...

I LOVE back to school shopping. Even though I'm not even in school. I went to Target today and bought crayons, glue sticks, and markers anyway!

Monogram Queen said...

Fun shopping for school. I think in a few years i'm going to invest in an LLBean backpack and have it monogrammed for Mad.

Wow Kelton aka "big foot" LOL

Melanie said...

Where did you go for the .22 stuff?! I might as well stock up for the house too!
Good job Kelton for making the decision to keep a good backpack! :)

Anonymous said...

The start of back to school is still a few weeks away for most kids still loving summer break but. Parents are going to start school supplies shopping.

amy4 said...

I took the easy way out this year and bought a school supply kit from the PTO. They buy name brand supplies and even give you labels. Last year I went to three different stores looking for all the items on Nathan's 2nd grade list. I will miss buying school supplies - so I might just have to buy some of those .22 supplies you mentioned for my house. I'd also like to know where you found the
.22 stuff? That's a deal!

Catherine said...

Wow, sounds like a lot of stuff is needed. You are giving a sneal preview, Robbie goes next year. I noticed at Wal-mart, threir were lists posted for each school.

Mimi said...

OMG can you believe that the summer is almost over????? OMG our live is just zooming by.....won't be long before the little one starts school....that will KILL you.....been there.....the first one you can't wait.....then the last one starts and it kills you...

Caroline said...

I am no longer in school, but every fall I want to get new pens and cool new things for my office.