Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My Friend Jen

My (on-line) friend, Jen, writes the blog "Candle at Both Ends" which I love, love, love. Recently, her family has undergone a huge kick in the pants when her husband lost his job. Jen is writing a series for Examiner.com on the experiences they are currently living through. She is an awesome writer - and I encourage you to wander over to her page at the examiner and see for yourself.

Out of her last posting, I pull this (below) quote. I love it.

"About that -- about planning: planning is a comfort behavior. We like to map things out, although we know how quickly plans can change. We make lists. We search online for articles with bullet points or numbered task lists, telling us what to do.

When the rug is pulled out from under you, you fall to the ground. Quick and dirty. The job loss, the news that we were having twins -- these are more like standing in a calm sea, then being hit by a wave from behind. You go from standing firm with an eye on the horizon to crashing twisting swirling through the murky water, unsure of which direction is up. You can map out your life in infinite detail, but still a rogue wave can rise at any time, breaking upon you when you least suspect it in the form of a medical diagnosis, an unhappy spouse, the loss of a job, or even an extra baby stowing away in a carefully planned pregnancy.

But what do we do when we once again break the surface of the water, gasping for air? We make another plan."


And while you're there, check out her first posting: Busted Flat in Baton Rouge. And if you have a comment for her, please be sure to post it. Thanks!

5 comments:

Tanya said...

I've been reading her blog since you posted about her a few weeks ago. Yet more stuff to keep me away from work. :)

Jen said...

Oh, thank you, Casey!

Unknown said...

She is one of the better writers I have read. Thanks for introducing her blog to me! Jeri

A Jersey Girl said...

Thanks for the link Casey!

Monogram Queen said...

So sorry her hubs lost her job. I need to give her blog a read.