Thursday, August 14, 2008

If You Build It, They Will Come...Eventually

Or so it seems anyway. :)

When we lived in our last house, it took a couple years, and a nicely filled feeder, but finally the hummingbirds arrived. I loved watching them and was sad to leave them behind when we moved.

Well...it's taken six years but guess what we have again? Hummingbirds!! Dakota planted some red flowering beans and for some reason, even though we have had plenty of red flowers in our yard in years gone by, that did the trick. We have two hummingbirds who come faithfully every mid-morning and mid-afternoon. I am mesmerized by them and look forward to their visits. I can't be sure, of course, but I think they might be mates because they will feed for a bit and then go sit on a branch of a nearby lilac tree and groom each other. I had no idea birds did that sort of thing but these two - they come and go together every day. It's sweet and I am loving it.



I tried to get a photo of both birds but as soon as I got close enough, one flew away. Still, pretty cool that I got this one. :)

4 comments:

Audra said...

we have a hummingbird that comes by our feeder every couple of days. It's SO cute! I love seeing it.

Tracey said...

What an awesome set of photos! I love hummingbirds!

amy4 said...

That is so ironic that you posted this, because my husband and I were just watching the two hummingbirds in our backyard this morning. We have a butterfly bush with purple flowers that they are attracted to. My husband is convinced that the hummingbird population is on the rise! ;) I love the photos!!!

Monogram Queen said...

There is a hummingbird I have saw three times while sitting on my front deck. I have been tempted to put a feeder out..... they are such cunning, cute little things!