Monday, March 31, 2008

The Weekend

Miss me? :)
This past weekend we travelled up to visit my family and to have the annual birthday party for Kelton, Kaylen and their cousin, Mikayla. Kaylen has a February birthday, Mikayla has a March birthday and Kelton has an April birthday so it has always just made sense to have a birthday bash for all the kids at the same time - and the kids seem to really love it!

So ummm...spring began, didn't it? You seriously could have fooled us. When we were packing Thursday night Kaylen grabbed her mittens and said "We take 'des too incase it snows." I said "Oh honey - it isn't going to snow. It's spring time and the snow won't be back until next year."

HA!

When we woke the next morning we were surprised to find white flakes falling from the sky. Not a lot and it was too warm for it to stick around (38 degrees) but still - there was a fine white dusting covering things. A quick call to my sister revealed the same thing was happening up there. Hmmm, I thought to myself, better throw in those gloves after all.

The four hour drive saw many snow showers as well as rain, sun and wind. Still, nothing too much to worry about.

Saturday morning we woke up at my brother's house and got ready for our day. We noticed snow flurries here and there but nothing note worthy. We loaded the kids into the car and started to drive to the meeting place for the start of the days activities. I swear to you, we went no more than a mile down the road and ran into THIS!





Catching snow flakes on their tongues.



I'm telling you, not much makes me happier when I am driving in the snow than knowing I have paid my car insurance premiums. I do not like driving in snow. Not at all. I will usually avoid it at all costs but since I was already in it, there was just one thing to do - keep pushing on. My sister, who Dakota called on the cell, assured us there was no snow in the city we were driving too and sure enough, a few exits down on the freeway it all changed to rain and we were fine. (The main road on the island where my brother lives was closed though so we had to wind ourselves around the island so a normally 15 minute drive took more like 40. Ugh!)

We finally arrived at our destination and the fun began! We all had lunch together and then drove over to the miniature golf place in town. Oh my goodness! The kids had a great time and I dare say so did the adults!












After golf, we headed over to my dad's for the opening of the gifts, cake and ice cream and together time. The kids all made out like bandits - wow!








After a long fun-filled day we headed back to my brother's house. The snow had all but melted by then and the roads were in good shape. The phone rang around 7pm though - it was my sister calling to say the snow had started to fall there and was sticking (she is about 30 minutes away from my brother). Eeeek! What did this mean for our return trip home in the morning?

Snow flurries in the morning came and went but nothing substantial so we packed up and headed out. Four hours of driving saw almost every conceivable weather from this area; snow, blue skies, rain, wind, hail....oh yes, we saw it all.

So much for March going out like a lamb around here. :)

It was a good weekend - long in some ways and far too short in others. (The drive was one of the long parts. Ugh!) We arrived home late afternoon and after the bulk of the unpacking was done, Dakota took the kids outside to play while I finished up inside. They had received baseball gear as gifts from my sister and they have already put them to good use! So darn cute!




7 comments:

Mimi said...

Looks like you guys had a blast....glad you are all home safe and sound......families are fun loved the cake soooo cute...

Stacey said...

Great pictures. Sorry about the snow. I'm so done with it too. It's rainy and muddy here now.

What is Kaylen wearing? Little gloves while golfing? Too cute!

Love that cake!

The baseball pictures so so adorable. Love the whole outfit to go with it.

Lynilu said...

Well, you had a bit of everything for the weekend, didn't you! I love the expressions on the kids' faces during golf! LOL! Too cute!

Glad to have you back!

Sheri said...

Glad your drive went well through all that weather wackiness! Yes, we had our share of wacky weather here too. Looks like a great weekend ... I love Princess Kaylen's golfing gloves ... too cute! And, whoever made the 3-part cake did a great job.

Froggymama said...

Wow, snow, I can't imagine. Love the photos!

SassyFemme said...

Looks like a great time. That cake is very cool.

Monogram Queen said...

Wow the weather is SO weird isn't it!
Kaylen is so smart - she knew she'd need those gloves Mommy!

Looks like one of the best birthday bashes EVER!