Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Day One: 2 dogs, 3 cats and 2 kids

Lions and tigers and bears - oh my!

Sorry - I just couldn't help it. It's been that kind of day. Actually, all things considered, the day has gone very well. It started out with a bang about 4 minutes after Dakota walked out the door at 6:00 this morning when I heard from the far end of the house the prancing and pawing of eight tiny hoofs. And I don't mean reindeer. Oh no - I mean Jordan and Maddie having a free for all play time. This might have been ok except that our 11 year old dalmatian isn't as steady on his feet as he likes to pretend *and* is under doctor's orders to have a few calm days to let injuries to his knee (long standing arthritis aggravated by rough housing) and tail (sprain) heal a bit. Clearly the pain meds they put him on yesterday seem to be working wonders because all day today I had to work at keeping him low key. Not easy to do, I might add, when he so desperately wants to play with Maddie.

I got up and separated them before someone got hurt. And so started my day. To my credit, Jordan only got hurt (as in yelping and unable to stand for a few minutes) once (Hey! I can't be everywhere. I had to get the kids their lunch which meant I had to take my eyes off the previously quiet dogs for a few minutes.). He got rolled in the yard one time but he seemed none the worse for wear - not counting the mud covered fur. :) He did jump right back up - which I was relieved to see.

It's going to be difficult to get Maddie to learn that she can't be that rough with our little old man. And it will be equally difficult to get Jordan to learn that he is no longer the pup he clearly thinks he is.

Mostly though, it was a really good day. When Maddie would show signs of wanting to play I'd get her in the yard and throw tennis balls for her (man that dog can run! So much for a decent lawn this year......) until she refused to run. Then we'd head back inside and hang out. Tonight is better than the past two nights - she seems to be getting the routine of quiet time after bath and bed for the kids.

The kids played with her some today but not nearly to the extent they have been. They both love her and are having fun with her but today they were pretty much back to their own routines. Which is good - it gives everyone a chance to settle in and gives Maddie a more clear picture of reality in her new house.

Kelton couldn't wait to show off "his" new dog so I brought up my laptop and printed off pictures today so that he could take them to school. He even took in one of him with Jordan which I thought was very sweet. He didn't want Jordan to think he didn't love him, too. :)

I haven't seen much of the cats since Friday night. Dallas appears to be the bravest of the three and she has gone face to face with Maddie. Andi runs for cover as soon as she catches sight of Maddie... and Lucy...well.....I briefly saw her for about 5 seconds last night after we gated Maddie in to Dakota's side of the bed (we've decided to keep her contained at night for a while to give the cats a chance to adjust...not to mention eat and use the litter box). I miss the cats though so I hope everyone adjusts sooner rather than later. I know they are out at night (Andi and Dallas even slept on the bed for a while last night) but I miss seeing them.

Oh yeah - and kitchen floor mopping, for those keeping count, stands at three for the day. No matter how well I think I am wiping Maddie's feet she still manages to track in a lot of mud. Ugh! I'm thinking we're going to have to run the carpet cleaner this weekend, too. Oh joy.

All in all though - it was a better day than I feared it might be. Thankfully.

3 comments:

Sheri said...

Hmmm, I'm feeling guilty for struggling with one toddler today. I'm glad everyone came through today in one piece. I'm also guessing you didn't make it to MC either--nor did we. Here's wishing you all a quick return to normal routines and a quick adjustment for Maddie.
:-)

Monogram Queen said...

You are flexible and have good humor- both go a l-o-n-g way!

SassyFemme said...

Your dog sprained its tail? I've never heard of such a thing.