Thursday, March 06, 2008

Lucky Charms for Dinner

What does it mean when you eat a bowl of Lucky Charms for dinner after you put the kids to bed? Does it mean you just couldn't stand the thought of eating chicken nuggets (again!) or that maybe you are just too lazy to come up with something, anything, to feed yourself? Maybe it's a combo of both. Whatever the reason, I just finished my so-called dinner.

It's been an off day for me. For the past three days I've been having a rough time with the symptoms of the syrinx (fluid filled cyst in my spinal cord) which means my nerves are shot - in more ways than one. It feels like my entire nervous system has been on hyper-drive and it has been a bit challenging. I noticed last night there was a decrease in the numbness, tingling, pins, needles and heightened anxiety which was a welcome relief. This morning though - I could barely stand the thought of getting myself up and out of bed. I was completely exhausted and just wanted to sleep - or at least stay in bed with my eyes closed.

I managed to stay under the covers until 7:30 when I had no choice but to get up and get things moving along so that Kelton could get to school on time. But wow - was I not wanting to.

This afternoon, once the kids had been fed and occupied (meaning Kelton was playing a computer game and Kaylen was watching Curious George. Yes I know - great parenting in action) I curled up on my bed and stayed there - dozing on and off. I didn't completely ignore them - I was up several times to handle disagreements, work out compromises, get snacks and anything else they needed. But after each thing I would go back and curl up again. I just wanted to sleep.

A couple times I could hear Kelton helping Kaylen with things. They even worked on an art project together (which I helped set up and later clean up). It was nice to have him helping and planning and directing. Maybe we can think of this afternoon as his succession plan. Learning, step by step, how to succeed in taking on the role as a big kid who can help out more.

A few times I even heard him say "No, let's not bother Mommy. She's resting. Let me see if I can do it." So sweet. :)

Today was so not like me. All I can think is that I am just completely exhausted for the constant activity of my nerves (and by extension, all the tweaking muscles).

Here's hoping for good quality sleep tonight with a lot less (dare I hope for none?) nerve activity.

13 comments:

Brenda said...

awww... I'm so sorry to hear your day was a tough one. I hope you feel better tomorrow. :o(

SassyFemme said...

Sounds like maybe Lucky Charms was needed comfort food last night. Are you coming down with something? Hope today is better for you.

How sweet that Kelton was helping his sister, and wanting to let you rest!

Audra said...

Kind of funny because I also had cereal for dinner. I am dying for some pancakes but I suck at making them...

I hope things start feeling better around the house, and that is adorable that Kelton is there to help out!

Tracey said...

Oh do I understand being physically at your end point! I am so sorry you're feeling so horrible and I hope that today you're feeling better. Yay for Kelton being a big boy, I hope that continues :)

Monogram Queen said...

I hope you are feeling better today sweetie. How wonderful your dear little boy was so cognizant of Mommy not feeling well!
I eat Easy Mac for dinner lots of times by myself. You do what you have to do sometimes.

Stacey said...

Everyone needs a break so don't be hard on yourself. That's sweet that Kelton was such a good little helper.

I had Froot Loops for dinner last week if that makes you feel any better. I just didn't feel like real food.

Froggymama said...

Lucky Charms and Cocoa Puffs are the best comfort foods ever!

I'm sorry you're not feeling well, but how wonderful that your kiddos are comfortable stepping up as independent little people, and empathetic taboot. Don't be too hard on yourself, and enjoy those sweet marshmellows. You deserve a little sugar.

Hope you feel better soon. xoxo

Sheri said...

Oh, so sorry you had such a rough day. I can feel for you ... I had about 4 hours of sleep Tues night, and only 4 hours again last night. Oh, and to add to our "de ja vou" similar life stories ... I ended up on the couch last night with a bowl of Vanilla Almond Special K (ok, so it wasn't Lucky Charms ... I had considered the Fruity Cheerios, but then Nick wouldn't have had breakfast ... LOL). I hope Friday brought you a better day, lots of rest, and a yummy dinner that didn't float in milk!

Lynilu said...

I wrote a comment, and it disappeared into Wherever-land. I’ll try to reconstruct.

Sometime you just do what you can/have to. I remember some times when I was curled up on the couch or in bed with the kids close by. That was all I could do at the time. Don’t be hard on yourself. You’re a good mom. :)

momtothreeboys said...

Sorry you had such a bad day!

But I gotta tell you - Lucky Charms are one of my favorites! AND - I ate rice crispies for dinner the other night.

Anonymous said...

I think you need a parenting break! You've worked hard, and you need some 'me' time. Can you escape for a weekend?

Caroline said...

I am sorry you were having a bad day. I hope you are feeling better.

A few weeks ago I was really needing some comfort food, so I had a thing of Ben & Jerry's for dinner. Sometimes we just have throw the rules out window.

Audra said...

Hope everything is well!