Friday, September 23, 2005

"Mama, it's hard to have a baby sister."

How can you argue with that? I did, however, counter with "And I'm sure it's hard to BE a baby sister."

This conversation took place after I had left them both in the livingroom so that I could take care of the dinner dishes. I was in the midst of drying things when I heard a horrible baby scream followed by some serious crying. I ran into the room, scooped up the princess and demanded "What happened?". The prince looks at me, dissolves into tears, collapses on the couch and says "I don't know!"

Again, I demand "What happened to her?"

"Her fell and hit her mouth on the table." He said, referring to the coffee table.

"Did she fall all by herself or were you dancing on the table and accidently ran into her?"

He looks down.

Finally he says "Her standing at table and I push her down. She hit her mouth when her fell."

*sigh*

"You need to stop pushing your sister."

My teary eyed boy says "Mama, it's hard to have a baby sister."

"Yes, honey. I know."

You just can't argue with that.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh poor sweetie. My mom told me that my brother never really complained when I was born. He was just shy of 4 and I was a high maintenance baby with severe reflux and took up tons of her time. Then she said one day he came over and asked if she could "take that baby back" and she said her heart broke. But she also tried the tack like you did with it may be hard to be the big brother, but it's hard to be the little sister too, that he could do all sorts of things that I couldn't, etc.

Hugs to the prince, the princess and to you!!!!!!!