Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Wills
(post #3 for today)

Ok - so I'm working on my Will tonight. Apparently in my state it is required that the witnesses (two) go with me to sign in front of a notary. I sure don't remember doing this the last time we wrote Wills but then, maybe we were in violation of state law (and thereofre so was the notary). I know we had witnesses sign but I clearly remember having them sign in Dakota's sister's kitchen (family gathering). I remember the day after the witnesses signed I took it to my credit union to be notorized.

Am I seriously supposed to scare up two people who will give up part of their day to travel to my (downtown) credit union to sign this? And if so, where do I find these two witnesses? I'm not exactly swimming in "real life" friends and it feels oh so strange to ask Dakota's mom and step-father.

I did a basic Will just to have things covered while I work on all the rest of the documents. I'm using the Suze Orman Will and Trust kit which seems easy enough. (I used a computer program last time, too.) I just need to find the time to get through all the "must have" legal documents. Fortunately, I already have most of them. I just wanted to be sure everything was updated. Power of Attorney's, etc were all redone right before Kaylen was born. The most important one, right now, is the Will so that I have the guardianship for the kids in writing. My personal property I don't so much worry about but the kids? Those little munchkins I worry very much about.

Nothing like thinking about leaving your children to someone else to raise. Talk about feeling like you've been kicked in the gut. I totally get why so many parents put off naming guardians and writing Wills. I already had the guardian named - but entering it all into a worksheet and seeing it all in black and white is actually pretty frightening. *sigh*

(keep reading...it's been a productive blogging night for me and I wouldn't want you to miss all the fun of the day. *grin*)

7 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

This is something I keep procrastinating about....

Brenda said...

Good for you. We need to ours too.

Dakota said...

Maybe two other credit union employees could witness your signature?
Hmmm...are you redoing MINE too? *grin*

Gandksmom said...

I need to do this also. I hate thinking about those things.

Mieke said...

You don't have to bring two people you know. They could be people standing in line behind you.

I used Legalzoom.com. It was about 60 bucks and easy to do. I was very specific and detailed(of course) because I am a control freak. It made me feel great to have it done.

Good for you for doing this!

em1__mak2 said...

I have an appointment with a lawyer to have this done next week. I've been putting it off forever, simply because it freaks me out to think about it. But I HAVE to think about it.

Sonya said...

Yes, the 2 witnesses don't actually need to know you. A couple of credit union employees should be able to be witnesses. I believe all they are witnessing is that you are you who are actually putting your name to that paper.

And a witness isn't really a witness if they aren't witnessing the signature in front of a notary... and a notary shouldn't accept/notarize a pre-signed document.