Tuesday, March 06, 2007

It's Been a Good Day.
(post #1 for today)

We have had a really good day. This morning dawned another bright and sunny spring-type day so it wasn't long before little miss sunshine was clamoring to go outside to play. That wasn't exactly on the agenda for the day - I had planned to go to MOMS Club for no other reason than to get out of the house for a bit and give the kids a change of venue. I told Kaylen I would think about going outside first. Kelton, however, had other plans. In the middle of me getting myself and Kaylen ready for the day, Kelton came charging to the back of the house and announced "I want to go to the library and get some books to read." He was none too happy when he heard my plans. "But I loooooooove books more than I love MOMS Club!!" he yelled as he stormed from the room.

Sighing deeply, because I knew this was a battle I wasn't going to win and wasn't one I really wanted to fight, I went to find him. I explained my reasons for wanting to go to MOMS Club but he wasn't buying. In my head I started my bitch session with myself of "When did my life become all about them? Blah blah blah." When I stopped stewing for a moment it hit me (again. Because I have always known - sometimes I just lose my mind.)...it stopped being all about me the second the blue line showed up on that pregnancy test stick back in 2001.

Oh. Right. No longer about me. I remember.

So I went back to talk with him and we agreed that we would go to the library and because it was Tuesday, that meant story time. He was so excited!

We had some time to kill before leaving so I turned them loose in the backyard for a bit. They had a great time and Kaylen surprised me by climbing up to the slide platform completely by herself. In the few seconds of time it took me to get my shoes on (they are Crocs, how long could it have taken?), grab a jacket and get out there, she was happily sitting atop the platform waiting for me to hold her hand on the slide. Oh my! She is growing up far too quickly.

After cleaning up a bit, we headed out to the library. They were both amazingly good at story time though I did remember why we stopped going. I just don't like the person who does the story times on Tuesday. On what planet is it a good idea to have a group of happy and quiet kids hear a story and then rile them up with songs and dances only to then make them sit down immediately for another quiet story? Come on people! Once you rile little ones up it takes a bit of doing to quiet them down so don't start barking out names of the kids who take a bit longer than 10 milli-seconds to calm down after all that running around. I swear that woman brings out the Mama Bear in me! Grrrrrrrrr. Anyway - all told, the kids had a great time!

The afternoon went smoothly. As soon as we arrived home, Kaylen wanted back in the yard so she and I went and played for a bit while Kelton caught up on his Mr. Rogers. :) Then it was naptime but oh no...little miss thing was not the slightest bit interested in sleeping. So, I finally gave up. At least I knew she would go down without a fight tonight and since nighttime sleeping is, at this point, a crap shoot, I figured it didn't make much difference. The kids played happily together and alone all afternoon. I even managed to read a magazine - yay me! :)

The ate a good dinner, helped clean up, had their bath and soon, they were tucked in tight. Yep - it was a great day! I love great days. :)

1 comment:

Perrin said...

Yeah for a good day. Nikki had a cute bear ears craft at MC and we got to play outside. So many new faces! The sunny weather makes for happy days!