Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Long Day

It was a "stay at home" day today and I swear to you - those are the longest days. At least when we are going someplace there is the prep time to get ready, the traveling somewhere, the being somewhere, the traveling back, the arriving home and the settling in parts. That usually sucks up the entire morning which leaves me with lunch, quiet time (which is a big joke around here these days since little Miss Thang has decided she is a "big gul" (her pronounciation) and no longer needs naps. Heaven help me! Kelton napped until he was 4 and by george, I expected the same from Kaylen. But seriously - is it worth my time to take an hour getting her down only to have her sleep 30 minutes? I think not!) and the afternoon portion of our day.

Having something to do in the morning hours is much easier than a full day of "Mom? Can I do....." Mom? I'm hungry. What can I eat?" "Mom....outside me go!" "Mom....yout tube peasssse!" (yogurt tube) "Mom! Dogdog!" (Hotdog. Which, I kid you not, Kaylen is going to turn into. How can one kid put away so many of those things?!?!?!)

By 9 o'clock this morning we had played computer games and danced around to silly songs, played with the Playdoh, played in the yard, played Legos and watched several episodes of Barney. I'm thinking time actually came to a stand still for about 4 hours somewhere in there. How is it that time can move so slowly sometimes?

I wanted to pull my hair out by 12:30 because it had been "I want, do for me, play with me, come see, come watch, help me, etc." for hours.

We somehow managed to make it to dinner time in one piece and actually, for the first time in a while, had a peaceful dinner. No one acted crazy, no one screamed, no one ended up on the naughty rug and mommy was still in a good mood at the end. A rarity after dinner to be sure. :)

We had some more fun (and really, it was fun. Kelton has a new computer game that he is having a blast with so I went between him (offering assistance) and Kaylen, who was in the backyard playing) and then bath and bed went like clock-work. Kelton was so wiped out that he practically fell asleep while I was reading to him. Kaylen was out minutes after her head hit the pillow.

Looking at their sweet sleeping faces I have to admit, even though it was a crazy, crazy day - it was also a really good one. How could it be anything but? I was with two of my three favorite people in the world and I had enough hugs and kisses to keep me going all day (and two pots of coffee didn't hurt either *grin*).

5 comments:

Froggymama said...

I know those days! Even in the chaos, there's fun.

Shannon said...

Sounds like a long day. Hope you enjoy your free Starbucks coffee today - you deserve it!

Perrin said...

It does sound like a nice day. I really have a hard time staying home all day. it sounds like a good idea but I end up getting bored with it. I also feel the call of all the chores I need to do and then I don't play with my kids the way I planned. Sounds like you all had a lot of fun.

Brenda said...

For a stay at home day, you sure kept busy! It can seem like a long day until they are tucked into bed and fast asleep. Then you wonder where the day went! :o)

Casey said...

FroggyMama: True enough! :)

Shannon: It was a long day. I didn't make it to Starbucks today but I did enjoy an extra pot of coffee here at home. :)

Perrin: That's exactly what happens here, too. I have this idyllic view of what it will be like but it never turns out that way. :)

Brenda: You are SO right!