Thursday, February 15, 2007

Time Change

Am I the last person on earth to know that we are changing time a month earlier this year?

Did you know that on August 8, 2005, George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday in March and end the first Sunday in November. The Secretary of Energy will report the impact of this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to resume the 2005 Daylight Saving Time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complete.

Ummm...why? Does anyone know? I detest changing times. It messes everything up (and this year it will cause a special brand of chaos since computers, VCR's, etc are pre-programmed for the time change dates years in advance. I understand Microsoft is sending out a patch in an update (and I also heard the first patch has a bug....)). Kids need to adjust their sleeping times, waking times and eating times. It's a pain the rear! At our house we start trying to adjust the Friday of the weekend it takes place - there is just no way we can all get into the swing of thigns with one day. It's madness. Why not just leave the clocks alone? Craziness, I tell you. Craziness.

You can go here to read more about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Until last year, my state hadn't changed times for 30+ yrs. Then, due to increasing pressure from manufacturers, our governor caved. They had always said that we "couldn't compete" with states that did change time for attracting factories and businesses. Horse hockey, as Col. Potter would say!

I think it is an artificial concept. After all, you're not SAVING time; you're borrowing it. Or robbing Peter to pay Paul or something like that. Either way, it's a bad thing!

I must confess that I (sort of) don't mind the springing forward, but I hate, hate, hate falling back. It feels as though the whole day is dark in the winter time!


DRKellogg