Tuesday, February 06, 2007

I Love Days Like These

Talk about a 180 from Sunday. Today was one of those rare, often dreamed about days when everything runs smoothly and meltdowns are virtually unheard of. A perfect day when my preschooler runs off happily to join his gymnastics class (even though he doesn't like the coach....and who, frankly, neither do I) and follows directions. He spoke up when an activity was too frightening for him to do (there are a few things that really scare him - he is not a child who enjoys heights) instead of just melting down (I was soooo proud of him!). When we stopped by the mall after class to pick up something, both kids were perfectly behaved.

Instead of having a fit about stopping at our MOMS Club event (as I had planned to do), he simply said "Mom, I think I'm too tired to do well there today. Can we just go home instead?" Again, I was so proud of him for using his words instead of having a tantrum.

Once home, he happily watched a tv show while I settled Kaylen in for her nap. Then we snuggled together and watched Clifford's Really Big Movie which was a big deal for him and, I'll admit, really fun for me.

Then later he played well with his sister and even "read" her a few books. He ate his entire dinner without complaint and used his good manners. He helped straighten the house, too.

I'm telling you, THIS kid is welcome to stay as long as he'd like. His evil twin, not so much. :) But seriously - it's just been a really, really good day. I wish I could understand what makes one day horrendous and another day picture perfect. I wish there was a secret recipe I could follow...something....anything. For the life of me I don't know what started off differently today. It felt like any other morning to me but clearly *something* was different.

Whatever the reason - I am very, very grateful.

7 comments:

Froggymama said...

Cheers to more of those days!!! Froggy was also a doll today. Must be something in the air.

Casey said...

Maybe the planets are aligned just right or something. :) Glad to hear that you too were blessed with a great day!

Jen said...

It's that side of the bed thing. I guess it will all depend on which side he gets up on! ;-)lol

Sonya said...

That does sound like true bliss! I'm glad you all had a wonderful day.

Planets were not aligned for us :). K most definitely sent his mood Eastward yesterday!

I'm happy to take my fair share but I'll soon be ready to pass it on! Given that the girls thought it was proper to party in their room until 11:45 PM (unknowingly to us... until 11:45 at which point I put a sudden stop to it), we are prepared for a couple more days of this behavior.

I'll gladly be passing this on by Friday though!

Anonymous said...

I think (don't quote me on this, though) that some days, people in general are better able to cope. There was probably some tiny variable that was throwing him off and it effected his behavior all day.

With my son, he had problems listening to his body signals (hunger, thirst, too hot), so if we had any inkling as to what it might be, we'd tell him to do X and that would usually solve it. If it was really hot out, we'd say, "Go take a shower" and he'd be in a much better mood when he came out of the bathroom.

I'd say your son doing pretty well at coping for his age! Maybe at some point in the future, you might want to bring up "the bad day" and tell him how much more pleasant it was for everybody on "the good day".

We're all just muddling through this, you know!


DRKellogg

Monogram Queen said...

Ah i can relate. We are just entering the tantrum-for-no-reason phase and it's VERY frustrating.

Tracey said...

oh man, I cannot imagine hearing "I'm too tired to do well there today.". I would have fallen over. How wonderful that you got such a great day!!!