Wednesday, February 14, 2007

So How Was Your Valentines Day?

Mine was pretty good. This morning Kelton had gymanstics, the first class in the new session. I went back and forth over signing him up given all the stuff that took place last session but he pleaded with me and promised me he wanted to do it again. Ummm yeah. After 30 minutes on the 45 minute class he melted down and said he was just "too tired to do gymnastics anymore." I had explained upon signing him up that that he would need to stay for the entire class and participate. I quickly gave him the run-down of what leaving class would mean - no more gymnastics. And no other activities that cost money for a while. "That's fine." came the terse reply.

I quickly thought about how much money this was costing me - I may as well just have flushed it down the toilet. And then it hit me - I wondered if they would put the rest of the money towards classes for Kaylen this session. I asked and yes! They would. So Kaylen and I will be in the parent/tot class for the remaining three weeks. I have no idea how she will like it but I figure at least I'll get one more class out of it if nothing else.

So then it was home for Kaylen's nap and Kelton's quiet time (He was "too tired" you know so he had no option but to rest. I'm such a mean mommy sometimes.). Once Kaylen was awake we headed out to Dakota's office to exchange little gifts (my girl knows me! I got a coffee mug and a Starbucks gift card. I gave her the movie "The Lake House" which we both loved when we saw it. The kids each got a small box of candy.) and then go out for a bit as a family. Since it was raining, walking around was out so we opted to go to a nearby Burger King to play in their amazing play structure. The kids and Dakota had a blast running all over that thing. I admit that even I had fun. A lot of fun. It wasn't one of those cramped structures that leave you feeling claustrophobic (which I can't stand!) and I even ventured down the roller bar slide. It was fun! :)

After about an hour we dropped Dakota back off at her office and headed home. Traffic was awful and it took us almost 90 minutes to make the drive (usually 30 minutes). You'd think it never rained here the way people tend to freak out about it.

By the time we got home it was dinner time (no one was hungry) which was quickly followed by some play time, clean up time and bath time. As a treat I popped a bag of popcorn and we snuggled in my bed to watch the Blues Clue Love Day episode. It was actually really fun to just be there with my kiddos. They were happy and tired. A great combination.

Kelton went to sleep very easily but Kaylen decided she needed a bit more wind-down time (if you don't catch her sleep window just right it slams shut and you have to wait for the next cycle to come around. It's frustrating but once I understood that about her, it became much easier to deal with.). She sat on the livingroom floor and "read" some books to herself. About 30 minutes later she was ready for sleep.

All in all, it was a great "Love Day" around here. I hope your day was filled with love as well.





10 comments:

Brenda said...

What fun pictures! You can see the joy and excitement in their faces. I'm glad to hear you were able to spend some time with Dakota on Love Day.

Talk to you soon!

Shannon said...

Sounds like you had a great day. The pictures are really cute. That's great that you can take Kaylen to gymnastics.

kurlokids said...

Casey-Love your pictures! I love the description of the time you spent with your kiddos in bed...I do stuff like that often too when Lee is out of town or working at night...it is the stuff that I think the kids will remember about us when they get bigger-and Yahoo for Kaylen to be able to go to gymnastics.
Amy

Laura said...

Now don't take this the wrong way, but you remind me of my own mother. She was always the head room mother, the mom who brought koolaid out to the kickball games, etc. Because of this I can tell you confidently that you are creating the kind of memories which will always stay with them. Good job, mom, good job.

(This is why I don't come to your blog much. I'm actually a sap at heart. Don't tell anyone.)

Monogram Queen said...

Awww great pics and looks like a great time was had by all!

Jen said...

That looks like so much fun. That slide, I've never seen one like that before. Hey even I could go down that one! Not like the tube slides. Those are the only ones we have here.

So glad you had a great day!

Sonya said...

So much fun!

We've found the BK play places to be preferrable over the other brand, especially in terms of cleanliness. But none of ours are quite as cool as this looks!

Caroline said...

I am so glad that your love day went so well. That's neat that you all met Dakota for lunch. I was thinking about you guys yesterday and wondering if you were going to be able to spend any time with Dakota since she was at work and then school. Glad you were able to spend some time with her. And I am sure it helped her being able to spend some time with the family. Love the pictures of your day. Looks like the kids (and Dakota) had a great time in the play area.

Caroline said...

I just re-read my comment and I am sorry it was so repetitive. I guess what I was trying to say, "glad you had a good time". :)

Casey said...

Brenda: Thanks. We were thrilled to get to spend time with her.

Shannon: We had a great day! :)

Amy: Those are the moments I sincerely hope they will remember. My biggest and darkest fears are they won't remember those times, they will only remember the times I am less than happy with them. *sigh*

Laura: Thanks. But seriously, please visit often. I like saps. :)

Patti_Cakes: I think it's fair to say that yes, a great time was had by all. Even me. Go figure. I'm not one who enjoys the play structure experience but when your kids are laughing as hard as they were, it's hard not to get in and play. :)

Jen: Thanks! It really was a fun, and unique, slide.

Sonya: Good to know. We don't have a BK play place around here so this is the only one I've been in. I'll have to see about checking out others that may be closer to us.

Caroline: You can repeat as much as you like. I love the way you gush. :) And I'm reallt touched you think about us even when you are visiting the blog. I have to say, I just love all my on-line friendships. Who'd haev thought 10 years ago that some of my best friends would be people I've never met in person? How far we've come!