Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A Conversation With a Little Negotiator

Me: "Good night, Kaylen. Sleep well."

silence for a second

Kaylen: "Puppy. Me get."

Me: "No, I'll get it. I know right where it is." (this is a nightly stall tactic though the desired object changes every single night.)

I go and get the puppy and bring it to her.

Me: "Nigh-nigh time. Good night."

silence for a second

Kaylen: "TV. Blue Clue. Yeah, TV."

Me: "No TV. It is time for sleeping."

silence for a second

Kaylen: "Barney. Watch TV. Barney."

Me: "No Kaylen. No TV. It is sleeping time."

Kaylen: "Peassssssse Mommy? Peasssssse? Barney? Three min-mins (minutes). Peassssse? Yeah yeah!"

Me: "No. Sleep time."

Kaylen: "Two min-mins. 'K Mommy? Two min-mins yeah." (she starts to get up)

Me: "No. No minutes of TV. It's bedtime. You can fall asleep here, with me beside you or I can rock you. Which one do you want?"

Kaylen: "Here." (the bed) then a minute of silence......and then "Noooooo ROCK ROCK!"

So I rock her to sleep. My silly, silly bear.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Love the "min mins" LOL
Ah, bedtime. I think no kid ever wants to go to bed. Even when they're falling asleep and so obviously tired.

Casey said...

I love the "min mins" too. She is a clever girl. :)

Jen said...

Sounds so familiar. Here it is 'can I have some chocolate milk? then 'can I have some white milk? then 'can I have some water?' then can I have a granola bar. ARGH. It never ends. :-)

Froggymama said...

What a cutie pie. I can't wait til Froggy starts really talking.

Casey said...

Jen; That is so true but really, would we ever *really* want it to end. :)

FroggyMama: It seriously is the greatest thing to have a conversation with your baby. I am so amazed how ever day her verbal skills increase and, therefore, the conversations become much more complex. It's amazing and wonderful!