Thursday, November 09, 2006

A Penny Saved

The Second Step catalog arrived the other day and while I was flipping through it I came across this play structure.



I smiled, as I looked at it, because in my backyard sits the identical structure (the color varies a bit as they tend to do year to year but structurally, it's identical). Then I glanced at the price.

HOLY SMOKES! Seriously? $599.99 plus $119.99 for shipping? $800 total!!??

That is highway robbery.

Suddenly I was feeling very smug about buying ours at a garage sale for $150. To top it off, when we bought it it had been used in their indoor playroom - it had never seen the sun! The color was unfaded and except for the missing plastic phone, it was in "out of the box" shape.

We lucked out BIG time. (Thank you Brenda for seeing it and calling us! Has it really been two years since that happened?! Has to have been - I remember being newly pregnant with Kaylen. Wow!) I can't stress how great garage sales are - I have seriously outfitted the yard in outside play stuff for pennies on the dollars.

The kids have spent countless hours climbing and playing on this. Kelton always liked it but Kaylen? That little monkey adores it beyond words. Whenever she is in the yard she is playing on it. The slide is her own little slice of heaven. :)

And yet.....$800 for plastic? It still blows me away.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

You just gotta love a great deal !

Garage Sales rock! :o)

Jen said...

lol...it must be in the genes...Brenda's sister Debbie has that same eye for Garage Sale deals!! :-)