Tuesday, November 07, 2006

And The Rain Falls Down...and Down and Down and Down

From what I have been reading in the local paper and through on-line news sources, our weather appears to be getting national attention. I've also received emails from a few out of the state friends to check in to make sure we were doing ok.

Yep - so far, so good. Luckily we don't live near any obvious water sources (rivers, ponds, etc) so our main issues are the ground being completely saturated; unable to hold the water falling and the gutters not being able to handle it all so it's splashing over soaking the siding on the house - not great for the wood but all things considered, I'll take that over the house being flooded.

The dogs are not amused at all and have put in their request for it to dry up. They would like to go out and play in the yard. The kids, however, are loving it. We take "rain walks" several times a day so they can splash in the deep puddles and stand under the waterfalls spilling out of gutters.

Luckily, I don't have to drive in it if I don't want to so errands and just getting out has been curtailed.

D stayed home from work today to get some extra study time (she is working on a HUGE paper and is currently over at her moms house where two little people, and their sick mommy won't bug her) and when she called in her co-worker reported that the streets of Portland are terrible and dangerous. Good call for her not going in but she does might try to make it over there later for classes. Last night she drove through puddles that threatened to leak under the doors of the car. The sewer systems, while certainly enough to handle the normal amount of rain, seems to be having trouble clearing the roads. The leaves clogging things up aren't helping either.

I admit though - I'm actually enjoying the rain. I love hearing the pitter pat of the rain against the windows and the woooosh of it in the gutter drains. It is supposed to stop raining by Thursday - who knows how I will feel by tomorrow afternoon. I might be joining the ranks of the many who are cursing their way through the beyond-soggy days.

2 comments:

momtothreeboys said...

(snif, snif) it was "only" 90 degrees here (southern CA) today - I mean helllllooooooooooooo, is there anybody 'up there'?? This is insane. It's almost T-day people, we need rain - NOW!
I'm totally jealous - I adore the rain.

Brenda said...

Wow! I enjoy a good day of rain, but when it drags into days it gets to be a bit much! I hope you see the sun soon!