Monday, January 30, 2006

Secret Sister

Every year my MOMS Club has a Secret Sister activity whereby people fill out forms with likes, dislikes, etc. and the forms are disbursed to other participants. During a six week period you do nice things by sending little notes or gifts to the person you have. At the end of the six weeks, there is a "revealing" party and you get to know who has been (hopefully) spoiling you. It's a lot like a Secret Santa.

I played the first year I was in my MOMS Club and I ended up with a really unattentive Secret Sister. I was bummed but when I learned it was one of the members who had been placed on bedrest, I understood (she is no longer in the group) though I was still sad that I had missed out. The person I had, who was also in my playgroup, was thrilled with all the things I did for her - which was really fun to witness first hand. I loved knowing I was brightening up days for her.

Last year I decided not to play because:
a) money was super tight (not unlike know, mind you)
b) I didn't want to be disappointed again
c) I had a newborn and was struggling with severe PPD (which disappointment would have made worse)

This year, I'm throwing my hat into the ring again. I hope, hope, hope I'll get a good Secret Sister. I can't begin to tell you how much little surprises here and there would brighten my life right now. I feel alone, lost and frustrated a lot of the time these days and it would just be nice to be reminded every so often (or often *grin*) with something tangible that someone is thinking of me and wishing me well.

I know that seems shallow. But....so be it. I'll say it again: I really, really want a good Secret Sister. :)

2 comments:

Sonya said...

I hope you get the absolute best secret sister!

Mommy said...

i wanna be your secret sister! how fun! *grin*
rae