Thursday, January 19, 2006

Bath Mats

Who invented these things? You know what I am talking about - those rubber mats that go in the tub to prevent slipping? We have a really cute one in the kids tub - it's blue with bright yellow ducks on it (we have a duck theme in the bathroom). I guess I should say we've had several. See - they always, always, always grow this disgusting black mildew on the side that adheres to the tub. Sure - it makes sense...it's probably always wet. I get the reason....what I don't get is why no one has invented a mat that *doesn't* grow this nasty stuff.

Heck- I'd even be happy if there was something I could spray on it weekly to prevent the problem.

With the mat before the one we have now, I was diligent about picking it up, drying it off and leaving it wrong side up to dry on the side of the tub. I mistaken thought this would thwart the growth. I've tried washing it weekly, that didn't work well either.

Does anyone know something that might help this problem? I'm getting frustrated and I hate plunking down $15 every couple of months for a new mat (though I hate the thought of a nasty black one sharing space with my kids even more). Sure - I could get the cheaper, ugly ones. After all, they end up in the same place, the trash, but I want a cute one. I should get to have a cute one.

And someone should make something to keep it from growing spots.
*sigh*

6 comments:

One Boys Mom said...

You can buy the stickers that you stick to the bottom of the tub. Cute shapes and we've had them 1.5 years with no mold problems. Good luck!

Sonya said...

We never have problems with our bath mats growing. Though maybe it is a Midwest thing vs a Northwest thing? I hear you grow that kinda stuff easily out in your neck of the woods.

We use the cheap one's from, you know... that place :). We just got new ones because we were tired of the old one's. But this I think is only the 2nd set since the girls' started taking baths IN the tub. We get 2 of them and that covers the whole tub front to back.

Good luck! I bet the duck one's are cute!

Sonya said...

Oh... and we aren't nearly as diligent as you are about hanging them to dry or washing them.

We've never washed them in the washing machine. They have soaked in some oxyclean before... when we soak all the bath stuff. Anymore, that only happens on the 3rd full moon in the odd year. You get my drift. LOL

Casey said...

Seriously? They don't grow black mildew stuff on the backs of the mats? I guess if it is indeed a regional thing then it makes sense why no one has come up with a solution.

It just grosses me out. Eeeew!

Laura said...

It must be a northeast thing too because the mold grows on it here so quickly. I like the extra long mat which is a little more expensive and the same thing, I always feel like I'm picking up a new one. I actually bought one of the clear ones once and dear god, it was sickening to be able to look through it and almost in front of your eyes you could see the mold growing. I wish I had a solution for you.

Sonya said...

This is wild... we cannot be the only one's to not experience this.

And... it's not that I don't look or notice it... it really isn't there. ;)

OH... maybe it is because we don't bathe our kids often enough? LOL

Hmmmm