Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Rain Doesn't Stop Us

This weekend was chilly and wet. Very, very wet. Sunday, after grocery shopping and then unloading the groceries in a downpour the sun decided to grace us. And those brief moments of sunshine were all it took for Dakota and Kaylen to decide that going to the Bonneville Fish Hatchery would be a good idea.

It took a few minutes of convincing on my part because well....things were still dripping outside and I knew the reports called for more rain. But convince me they did and the four of us climbed into the car to drive the 40 minutes to the hatchery.

If you have been with me for a year or two then you probably remember that the hatchery is our yearly end of summer road trip. The kids love to feed the fish but more than that, I'm thinking their favorite part is the gift shop. :)

About 20 minutes into the drive we drove smack into a rain storm. It was pouring so hard that I could barely hear Dakota talking from the passenger seat and the kids had ramped up their volume to be assured they *would* be heard. I could barely see the lanes and we tossed around the idea of turning around. But you know what? We were in that far and I didn't see the point in turning around and dealing with crying from disappointed children. So on we pushed.

By the time we got the hatchery gate the rain was just a drizzle so we put on our (non-waterproof) jackets and started to make our way to the gift shop. We hung out there long enough for the rain to stop. Good planning on our part! :)



After taking the treasures the kid talked us into back to the car so they wouldn't get lost or dropped, we headed over to see the fish. Big fish, little fish....we saw them all.






Please note the Children's Place tag on Kaylen's coat. This is a jacket I bought for her years ago on sale. It's still huge on her but she loves it. The only thing is, she won't let me remove the tag. There are worse things, I guess. :)




















Best photo of the day! :)




We enjoyed blackberries that grown wild along one of our favorite paths. And by "we" I mean Kelton, Dakota and me. Kaylen picked tons but lets not forget: she will not eat fruits and veggies. :)










We all had to admit that Dakota and Kaylen had a great idea - we had a really fun time.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

d'oh! my comment disappeared...

I've heard people talk of this phenomenon you call rain, but its been so long since I've experienced it, I can hardly remember what its like.

Glad you decided to head out. i was worried the entire trip would be spent in the gift shop, much to the kids' delight and your (wallet's) dismay

Melanie said...

I am so glad you guys continued on. How WELL worth it!! Great photos. :)

Dakota said...

Very fun photos!

Tanya said...

I wanna go to a hatchery!