Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Manipulated by the Best

Ah yes. It's so easy to manipulate a mommy who lives on, and for, caffeine.

We're driving along, happily chatting with each other on the way from running errands when my not-yet 5 year old says:

"Mom....wouldn't a nice cup of hot coffee taste really good right now?"

Me: "It sure would."

Kelton: "Yeah. It would be really nice."

He makes a few happy sounds as I start to fanatize about holding a hot cup of Starbucks coffee in my sleep deprived hands.

Kelton: "Hey Mom?"

Me" "Mmmmm?"

Kelton: "Why don't we stop by a coffee place and you can buy a coffee." (notice how it isn't a question. It's a statement. A directive."

Me: "You know, that does sound really good. I think I will."

Silence for a minute while I am lost in happy thoughts about coffee.

Kelton: "And while we're there, let's get a big cookie for me and Kaylen."

And there you have it. My sweet boy wasn't looking after *me*. Nope. He was looking after himself and his desire for a big chocolate chip cookie.

And yes. He got it.

But I got my Venti Raspberry Mocha, too! :)

13 comments:

Brenda said...

LOL - smart boy! He already knows mom's weaknesses! Cute story! ;o)

Kristen said...

bwahahaha! smart kid ;)

Anonymous said...

That is cracking me up. We must have the same almost 5 yr old boy. My kids call Starbucks or Caribou "The Coffee Shop" Anytime we drive or walk by one of these shops all three kids yell "Coffee Shop, let's go"! Right away I start to hear conversations between them about cookies and muffins. I always give in because, well, let's face it, it's a break in the loooooong day!

Heidi

Stacey said...

lol kids do know how to get what they want. sneaky.

Perrin said...

So funny...just wait till he's 10. I had on purpose not bought my kids anything at starbucks and said it was only for grown-ups. Then I went and blew it and let them get hot chocolate one time. Now I can hardly go anymore.

Froggymama said...

That's hilarious. Clever boy.

Monogram Queen said...

Hey scratch his back and he'll scratch yours! He's a "smart cookie"!

Glad you had a nice retreat at the Beach Hon. Y'all deserve it!

Holly said...

LOL - what a smart child you have there!
Mmmmm, raspberry mocha.

Anonymous said...

lol, kelton is hilarious. smart boy!
rae

SassyFemme said...

Ohhhh, tricky kid! Funny!

Casey said...

Brenda: Indeed he does. :)

Kristen: Too smart. Way too smart. :)

Heidi: Kelton has been able to point out Starbuck stores since he was about 14 months old. It's crazy. Kaylen will even call them out as we pass them. Insane. :)

SeasonalKat: We haven't tried to chocolate covered graham crackers. We'll have to do that one of these days.

Stacey: They sure do!

Perrin: It is harder to go there now but I can easily mandate that they are getting ONE cookie or piece of Lemon Loaf to share. :)

FroggyMama: :)

Patti_Cake: Thanks. :)

Holly: You should try one if you haven't had one yet - YUMMY!!!!

Rae: Yes he is. :)

SassyFemme: :)

Lynilu said...

LOL!!! Work it, Kelton, work it!!!!!!!

em1__mak2 said...

Doesn't it just give you the warmest fuzzies to realize how well your child knows you? One of my favorite things M does when I say I'm tired is to say "Here's a tall latte!"

I'm not so much into fruity flavors in my coffee, but have you tried the Dulce de Leche latte at Starbucks? Mmmmm... this must be what heaven tastes like.

mel