Sunday, April 15, 2007

Settling In

It's 6:30 and the rest of the family is still sleeping. Yesterday was a long day but we are finally settled in (well mostly) into the hotel. I've been going a little nutty trying to get everything done in two days to get here - it's all complicated by not knowing how long we are going to be here. So much to do but I did manage to accomplish a lot; inlcuding getting Kelton registered for kindergarten for September. Appointments were cancelled and rescheduled and pet sitting help was arranged (we have an amazing neighbor and, of course, Dakota's wondeful family helping us out). Dakota is here for the weekend and then will go back home, via train, Monday morning for school and work. She'll take the train Friday morning back up and stay the weekend. That will be the routine for the time we are here.

My brother set us up in a really great hotel, The Hampton Inn and Suites - in a 900sq foot suite with complete kitchen. It's really incredible considering it is 50sq feet bigger than the first house Dakota and I bought. :) The staff is overly friendly and helpful which tipped me off the the face that they know why we are here. I asked my brother and yep, they know and, he was quick to add, there is nothing they won't do to help me out while I am here. That brother of mine - he knows how to get things done. :)

We weren't in our room (apartment, really) for 5 minutes when James, Cara and Lannon showed up to help settle us. Then we went to lunch and then it was off to my parents. My mom has changed so much in just a week. I admit I was shocked more than I thought I would be.

Later, James said to me, "I know in the next couple of days you will be asking yourself why you are here but just wait." Meaning he knows things don't look critical yet (eventhough they very much are at this point) but times are changing - and fast.

It's so surreal.

This morning after breakfast we will head up to my parents place again. I'll stay and Dakota will take the kids and go pick up groceries. I know at some point today James and Cara are planning to come over to go swimming with the kids. Kelton and Kaylen are both VERY excited about the pool area.

Thanks for all your kind words and for the birthday greetings for Kelton. Yes, it's true. Yesterday he turned 5 years old. WOW.

For those of you on my Yahoo groups, I went to no mail status (Thursday, I think) for now.

More later.

7 comments:

Laura said...

I am thinking about you and sending you well wishes. Takce care of you and yours, and I am sorry you are going through this.

Anonymous said...

Casey,
Claire sends belated Happy Birthday wishes to the big guy, wow, 5!

I'm glad that you are getting settled in, it's horrible circumstances, but so important that you get to spend this time with your mom and family. I am so sorry that things are happening so quickly.

We are keeping all of you in our thougths and prayers. Sending you lots of wishes for peace and strength.

Hugs,
Jennifer

Dee said...

Thinking of you and including you and your family in our prayers.

Happy belated B-day to Kelton!!!

Froggymama said...

Happy Birthday Kelton!!!

We're thinking of you everyday. Thanks for keeping us all informed. I hope the love from the blogging world gives you strength in all of this. I wish I could do or say more. Froggy wants to tell Kaylen thanks for suggesting a booster seat. She is one smart little girl! We've had no more standing at the dinner table. Take care. xoxox Elise

Patti_Cake said...

Casey i'm glad you where you are and have the support that you do. Your brother sounds like a wise and wonderful man. Happy Belated Birthday to dear Kelton.

Jen said...

Casey...I'm sorry.


**hugs**

Happy Belated birthday Kelton!! :-)

j.

Brenda said...

~ Hugs ~

I'm so glad I was able to see on Friday. Take care.