Friday, April 20, 2007

YAY!!!

Dakota comes today!!! We are all so excited to see her that I can barely sit still. Her train arrives at 12:30 and you know there will be three eager people waiting at the station.

My mom is still hanging in there. Hospice told my brother yesterday that we probably gained a few days because we found out about the infection before we normally would have since they had to cath her instead of getting a sample the "old fashioned" way. They were able to culture the bacteria from the bladder itself and not the tract. She is definitely starting to decline and yesterday, for the first time, she request pain medication. She has been refusing it so yesterdays requests means that the pain is increasing.

Yesterday, while I was visiting with her, I asked my mom if she wanted me to get her book (she had been reading it the day before while I was there). She said "No...I'd rather just look at you." So - we're getting there and she is well aware of what is taking place.

The kids have had two really good days in a row which I so desperately needed. Yesterday we picked up Cara and the four of us headed to the local Children's Museum. It was a really good 2.5 hours of just playing and being kids. I think, too, that we are finding a routine to call our own for now. That helps tremendously.

I have pictures from the Children's Musuem but I haven't yet uploaded them. When I do, you know I'll post some. :)

8 comments:

Laura said...

I'm glad you had a couple of good days with the kids and that you can be there with your mom now. Hugs!!!

Monogram Queen said...

Yay for Dakota coming! I know there will be four smiling faces at that train station!
Glad you are having some good days to make up for the bad one and although it's sad your Mom is realizing things it's bittersweet that she just wants to look at you. I have a lump in my throat Casey.

Sonya said...

I'm glad you are getting into your new routine. What a relief to you it must have been to have a couple of good kid days. How special and awesome that you are there for your mom to look at. While it is such a strain on you and your family, these are days that you won't ever regret.

Hang in there!

Lynilu said...

Oh, Casey, you are handling all this in the most amazing way. I admire you. I'm glad Dakota is on her way, and that your whole family will be together for the next few days.

I'm most happy that your mom and you have had this time together. What an incredible blessing for you both. In these final days, you'll find that things that were important before (like the book) become trivial. Hold it close, dear.

Froggymama said...

That brought tears to my eyes. How wonderful that your mom would rather look at you than do anything else. I just checked in on Addie while she sleeps, and there is just nothing better than watching my baby. I'm sure this visit is giving your mom the peace and strength that she needs, just like our babes give us.

Brenda said...

What sweet words from your mom. It warms my heart.

Dee said...

I keep checking in to see how ya'll are doing. Hope things are going okay. Glad Dakota's with you know. Just know I'm thinking of you and hoping all is well.

Dee said...

I keep checking in to see how ya'll are doing. Hope things are going okay. Glad Dakota's with you know. Just know I'm thinking of you and hoping all is well.