Thursday, September 28, 2006

What Are Your Deepest Fears For Your Child(ren)?


My biggest worry for Kelton is that he will be made fun of, or made to feel bad for, having two moms. Now that he is going to a couple different preschool type things I worry about this all the time. He is SO proud of his family and will tell everyone he meets that he has two moms. So far, he has only been met with acceptance but I know the day will come that will shatter him and I stress out about it. I don't know how to protect him from the world and the cruel comments that will come his way. I don't want his spirit broken....or his heart.

For Kaylen, I worry that she will never ever outgrow her "pallid breath holding" stuff (which has nothing to do with temper tantrums and every thing to do with sudden trauma or fright). It scares the crap out of me every time she stops breathing. And yes, she does it often.

I also worry that my kids first memories, the ones they will carry with them for the rest of their lives, will be of my yelling at them or being angry with them. I know, that for me, my first memory is feeling lost and alone when my mom, pregnant with my younger brother, was too sick to care for me and I was alone in the house with her. The curtains were drawn and I was sitting at the child sized table playing tea-party with my doll, alone and scared. I don't want my kids first memory to be sad or painful.

What are your deepest fears?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since my own mom died when I was young, my biggest fear is I won't be around to watch them grow up. I worry about dying young and leaving them when they still really need a mother.

Estelle said...

That's my son's sibling will be healthy, and he'll hate me forever for it. Or that the sibling will be sick, and the sibling will hate me forever for it.

Gandksmom said...

I don't think there is enough room for all my fears. I wonder if Katie is scared because I have to lie down so much in the afternoon. I don't leave her alone, but I wonder what that feels like to her. Anyway, I worry about everything. Absolutely everything.

Anonymous said...

my biggest fear or my biggest fears?
dying of cancer and not being around for maggie--having been abandoned myself I can't imagine doing that to MY baby
and
maggie being forever traumatized by all she's been thru in the last year with me being so sick. i hope she forgets it all. it must have been horrible to be in her shoes.
hugs to you.
rae

Laura said...

I'm not sure I can even figure out what my biggest fear is. I guess a really big one is that something would happen to me and he'd be left all alone. I worry alot that he won't have a friends, that he'll get made fun of, that he he'll be bored at school and tune out. I think we all have these fears and just hope they don't consume us.