Monday, September 11, 2006


September 11th.

This is such a surreal day to me. After 5 years you would think I wouldn't be taken back to those moments in time and flooded with all these emotions. You would think it would start to feel different than it did that day.

Everything feels off. The tears are right at the surface. Kelton asks why I seem so sad and I try to explain in a way a 4 year old can understand. Understand. Yeah right. Who could possible understand what happened on this day 5 years ago? Not me, that's for sure.

We have our flag flying today. I am actually shocked and dismayed at the lack of flags flying in my town. It's almost like people have pushed it from their thoughts...forgotten. I know that can't be true. It just can't be.

We watched a documentary last night (no, not the controversial "docu-drama" The Path to 911) about fire house 7 in New York. It was the fire house that had a film crew working there to document a new fire fighters probationary period. I cried.

After 5 years, the pain is still so raw. And I didn't lose anyone in the attacks. I just can't even comprehend how today must feel to those who did.

*photo credit unknown

2 comments:

Laura said...

I can understand pushing it from your thoughts. It's what I did yesterday. I just don't want to have to deal with it. It's like this festering wound that's always there and just never gets a chance to heal and after awhile it's just easier to not deal with it. I also look at my sweet boy and think of the what ifs. What if another attack comes and god forbid something happened to me. Or even like on that day if I couldn't get home and was separated from him. It just hurts too much to think about what happened and what could happen again.

Anonymous said...

i'm with you casey........hugs
rae