Thursday, April 20, 2006

Long Evening

It's been a long, hard and emotional evening. One of our cats isn't doing well and Dakota and I agreed via phone tonight that it's time something is done. He is 16 years old - we can't expect him to rally many more times. I wanted to prepare Kelton (who just turned 4) because I know how much he loves Charlie. I expected a lot of questions and a few tears but what I got was all out hysteria.

We've talked about heaven lots and lots of times. My grandmother died when Kelton was 2 and while I know he doesn't remember it, we do still talk about it when he sees Grandma's photo. We talk about heaven all the time. We had a cat last year whom we sent to heaven when he was too sick to stay with us. He coped well with that. Not this time.

It was bad. It was ugly. It was heartbreaking on so many different levels. He even went so far as to say that if Charlie went to heaven then he wanted to go too because he never wanted to leave Charlie. I tried explaining. Over and over and over. Nothing worked - the hysteria got to a point I'd like never to see again. I know he's four. I know he is only four. I'm sure lots of people would just do what they felt needed to be done and deal with the child later but I'm not one of those people. My childhood dog was sick and while I was gone to youth group, they took her to the vet. I never knew they were doing it and I carry that with me to this day. I think it was cruel to do to me - I never said goodbye. I refuse to do that to my child.

We called Dakota, who is at school tonight. She knew what was happening at home so she made sure to answer her phone (she normally doesn't when she is in the library or class). She talked with him. He cried hysterically.

I talked with her and we agreed to hold off doing anything tomorrow (providing Charlie doesn't get worse between now and then) so that we can do some more prepping. I don't expect him to say "Oh ok - go ahead then." but I do hope we can get him to a place of acceptance that this is indeed the most loving thing we can do for Charlie and that it isn't nice, or right, to let him suffer and be in pain when we can help him.

I just want Kelton to understand that we aren't doing this to be cruel. That we love Charlie and want the best for him and, most importantly, that we wouldn't send him to heaven if he were to get sick. There has to be a gentle way to do this but for the life of me - I don't know what it is.

So not only am I worried sick over my son....I'm also facing losing someone I've had with me since he was 9 weeks old. My buddy for 16 plus years. I knew this day would come - I just wish it wouldn't have.

*sigh*

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Casey,
I know how hard this is...My Mom had to put my "sister" to sleep the week before my wedding...ugh, talk about bad timing...She was almost 19 yrs old...she lived a good looong life, and still at 19, I took it hard...
There is no easy way...but letting him say goodbye is defintiely going to make a positive impact on him...taking last pictures of the two of them together holding him close, saying good bye, coloring a picture for him to take on his journey--all good ways for him to remember this wonderful friend...
I remember crying for what seemed like weeks over my hamster...I had had him for over three years...almost four years--he was my best friend...I won't even begin to tell you how I "coped" with his death...
So here's big hugs to you, and I would do the same for Brenna with Brody...that's gonna be one helluva day that I'm really not looking at right now...
Take care you guys....HUGS

Kristen said...

I'm so sorry for your kitty and for Kelton. I think you did the right thing. Maybe you can have a ceremony to say goodbye- gather pictues, stories, the kitty's food bowls. Make it a nice send off. You might ask your vet if she has some good info on helping him through this time.
I'm sorry about your kitty. Calvin is 14? and diabetic and everytime he gets sick, we worry about putting him down. I can imagine how hard this must be for you.
Take care

em1__mak2 said...

In a way, the way I lost my 11-year-old "younger" cat very suddenly last week was a bit of a blessing. She seemed totally healthy. She's never had a thing wrong with her. We celebrated Milo's birthday and went home (my cats are living at my parents' house right now.) The next day, my mother called and told me Zooey just didn't wake up. It was strange and surreal and I wasn't prepared for it at all. But, like I said, it was easier I think than watching her go through a prolonged illness.

I do have tremendous guilt that she wasn't really an old cat so something must have been wrong and I didn't know it and I hadn't spent enough time with either of my cats lately because I've just been too darn busy. I did a lot of crying over her loss and for the lack of attention I had given her lately.

Instead of having to prepare Milo for the inevitable departure of a friend, I've repeatedly told him "no Zooey won't be coming to live with us when we finally have a house again." We don't really do heaven and it's a foreign concept to him, so I've told him that Zooey said goodbye and went to talk to some other cats. It confuses him, sure, and he still looks for her and it's sad that in time his memories of her will fade.

I'm sorry it's not nearly as smooth for you and you've had to make such a painful and confusing decision. Charlie has had a long and happy life and he will be missed.

Caroline said...

IT just broke my heart when I read this post. It's hard on us adults, but I can't imagine what it's like for a small child that doesn't understand what is going on. Growing up we always had pets. The first time I remember us having to put down one of our dogs I was maybe 8 or 9. I really didnt' understand what was going on. The next one was when I was in middle school. That was a lot harder.

Sonya said...

Awww I'm so sorry to hear about Charlie!