Saturday, April 22, 2006

I Love The TV

Yep - you read that right: I love the tv. I have no guilt over letting my kids watch tv (age appropriate stuff only - I wouldn't sit them infront of some horror flick or anything). Seriously. I have no guilt and I don't care that other parents act all disapproving. The fact is I sometimes so use the tv as a babysitter. How else would I be able to get things done without 20 little fingers trying to "help"? It's not like I have a neighbor girl that I can call to entertain the kids on the days I have a million loads of laundry to fold or the times when I feel like I'm going to explode if I don't have 15 minutes of relative quiet.

So yep - call me what you want but I love the tv. God bless the creators of Dora, Blue's Clues, Backyardigans and the rest. And a HUGE blessing for the person who came up with DVR's. That little box has made my life so much easier than it was when I had everything recorded from the VCR onto a million tapes.

I will let my kids watch tv - heck, I will even let then eat a popsicle while they watch tv if they want.

It's whatever works. :)

5 comments:

em1__mak2 said...

As a 24/7 single parent, I concur with you completely. TV is a good friend.

We don't have cable and we have very poor reception with an antenna, so if it isn't on PBS, I'm choosing what goes in the DVD player at all times. The shows and times he watches are always monitored, well except when I'm in the shower. How else could I take a shower?

I know my kid very well and I know nothing he's watching or the amount he's watching it is harming him in any way. I know it is postively impacting his knowledge base (and vocabulary -- have you ever actually paid attention to the Thomas shows?)

TV can be such a great source of information and it is a shame that so many sit in judgement, so many that probably spent an equal if not greater amount of time watching TV as children themselves.

By the way, I personally think you are well above "good enough" (and I like to think the same of myself.)

One Boys Mom said...

I LOVE T.V. too....if only Declan like it as much as me. He will only watch T.V. before bedtime. It's kind of a routine, if I need a break and try to get him to watch it during the day he actually WHINES "I don't wannnnt to watch t.v.." Fine I say you choice is to go play in your room or watch t.v..

I did buy this video golf game that you plug into the T.V. and he LOVES it, that has been a great help lately.

Kerry said...

I think t.v. can be a godsend at times esp during the meltdown hours, you know the arson hour of dinner time.A nice calm video can do wonders while trying to cook and not worry about little ones around a hot stove.Is it on all day? No. Does it help in moments of insanity and I need a break? Yes.Thank God for guilt free parenting at times.Even thoug our gang may be older there is only so much a Mom can take at times.

Margaret said...

yup...Pman does the tv thing too...and why should i say no? i watch my shows, shouldnt he be able to watch his?

first thing in the morning...he gets up, we turn his shows on and get him breakfast...this gives us 3-4 hours of free time...lol

peace...

Lois said...

Not one basher yet! We are happy to have the tv in our house too. When I first get home from work, Sue bolts, so there I am in work clothes with my two men clamoring for my attention. One simple boy show (as Sam calls it) fixes everything.