Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Wild Week

It's been a wild week since I last posted. Kelton had a 24 hour bug that kept him home Monday and Tuesday. Kaylen came down with it Tuesday-Wednesday and Marlene and I came down with it Thursday-Friday. Yep, you read that right. Over Thanksgiving.

Our Thanksgiving feast consisted of jello, ginger ale and crackers. At least there weren't any dishes to do. :) (And a BIG shout out to Cande who ran to the store to pick up stuff for us. Thank you!!!!!)

The kids were picked up around 2:30PM Thursday for a long weekend with Dakota and Vicki which meant I could finally go back to bed and sleep for a while. I felt much better when I woke and by morning I was "cautiously optimistic" that that worst was over. I slept in Friday but Marlene went out and about to hit the 4AM sales. She wandered home around 10 and then we went out and had breakfast before running a few errands and ending up at her ex's house to hang out for the rest of the day.

Saturday Marlene went to a family birthday party that I wasn't up for attending. I will just share that it was hard to be away from my kids for the holiday and especially for all those days. It was the longest time span I have EVER been away from them. Family time with someone else's family just felt too hard to face right then. I stayed behind, hung out with a friend and worked on my Christmas cards.

I got the phone call that Kaylen's first tooth had finally come out. It was incredibly bittersweet for me. I was sooooo happy for her but sooooo sad for myself. It was the very first milestone of childhood that I have missed with my kids. I couldn't help going back and forth between sadness and anger at having missed it. Yeah yeah - it could have fallen out anywhere but it didn't and I missed it. If you are a mom who has been there for all the milestone, you know what I am talking about. A crushing blow but there is nothing to do about it. That's life.

That evening we hung out again with a friend and a good time was had by all. We stayed up too late and laughed too hard but it was all good.

Sunday we opted to have a sleep in day and I didn't get up and moving until after noon. The kids were due back around 2PM so I got up, got things in order and said goodbye to Marlene so the kids and I could have some much needed together time.

It was amazing to see them at the door! I swear they each grew an inch! We spent hours catching up, cuddling and hearing all about their fun weekend adventures.

It is sooooooo good to have my babies back with me.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

If it makes you feel any better, I was on a phone interview when Ryan came out of the bathroom with J's first "haircut" in hand. Needless to say, I.was.livid. Maybe it's cause I have him all the time, but it sounds like you got a nice break. I want a break.