Sunday, November 07, 2010

Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!

I didn't really need further proof that I am losing my mind but just in case any of you did, I offer up Exhibit A: Zip. Zip is a 2 month old male tabby that the kids fell head over heels in love with this weekend and who now is shaking up life at home.




I haven't seen Kelton this happy in such a long time. The look of his face as we walked towards the car yesterday with the kitten was priceless. He stopped dead in his tracks, looked up and me and gave me the sweetest, heart-melting smile I have ever seen from him followed by "Thank you, Mom. This is the best day EVER. I will never forget this moment.". That moment of pure joy from my boy who spends a lot of his time being sad was worth everything.

Kelton cannot leave Zip alone. He made him a bed to keep him near him on the couch. He learned to "scruff carry" Zip so he won't get scratched. He talks so sweetly to his "baby cat" that I swear to you, I melt. He wrapped Zip up in a blanket and kept him with him for hours. The excitement in his voice is something you have to hear to believe. He is so excited to have a pet that is his "from the time he is a baby until he dies". All our other pets were full grown by the time the kids came along. The reality of having their very own "baby animal" has without a doubt, brought real happiness to them. It's a pure happiness I haven't felt from them in over a year.

Did I want another cat? Not really. We did just lose Lucy a month ago but as far as animals go, a cat will slide easily into the kids and my life. We still have Dallas and Andi and really? It's not such a big leap to take the cat count back up one more. And well....he sure is sweet. But mostly? There is nothing I wouldn't do to bring happiness back into my kids lives and to let them have a pet that doesn't remind them of life before the divorce seems like an easy enough thing to do for them when they wanted it with all their little hearts.

Now if I can just recall all my kittenhood stuff. It's been at least 13 years since I've had a kitten in the house. Maybe tomorrow, in between hunting for any and every job (including accounting jobs), I'll hit Google up for kitten training tips. :)

1 comment:

Audra said...

Awwwww! Zip is adorable and that is so great that it's bringing joy to the kids!