Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Just For Jen - A Real Post

Ok Jen....what should I write about that would make you happy and satisfied that I am asking no more of you, than you are of me? The weather?

Ok - let's see...it's dark out there....and cold. Of course, cold for us is in the 30's. :) They say it will be foggy again tonight but that the winds should come in and clear it out for a few days.

Oh - here's something exciting, at least for me. D is gearing up for finals (no, that's not the exciting part) which means.... (drum roll please).... WINTER BREAK!!! That's right, everyone. For four, count 'em, FOUR solid weeks I will have a relief pitcher coming through the door at 5pm. WAAAAAAA-FREAKIN'-HOOOOOO!!!!!! D's last final is on my birthday which means no big birthday day for me but at least it does mean the beginning of "Life as it was" for four weeks.

That brings us around to my birthday. Yep - I am going to turn the big 35 (plus 6). I really have no idea how I got this old. I remember, as a young kid, I thought 30 was super old. Like gray haired, old lady sitting in a rocking chair old. If I only knew then what I know now. Yeah - I may be getting old but as the saying goes; I refuse to grow up! (And Shawna (probably Brenda, too) can attest to that one!) I don't know what Shawna or Brenda would say they would guess my age to be if they didn't already know but for me, mentally I don't think I'm a day over 24.

I think it's odd that the mind stops aging even though the body doesn't. Hardly seems fair.

What else? Hmmm....I went to Old Navy today and spent too much money. I bought 2 pairs of sweats (blue and green) for the prince and 2 pair of Christmas pajamas for the princess (one for this year and one for next....yeah I know but it was 2 for $20 or 1 for 12.50. I just couldn't walk away.). While we were standing in line the prince found a pair of reindeer antlers, which were supposed to be for dogs, that he fell in love with. I told him I would buy them for him if he promised to wear them ALL day long. He swore up and down that he would. Dang I'm a sucker. They were definitely NOT worth $7.50.

But wait! It gets worse. Have you seen those kiosks in the middle of the malls were they sell crap...I mean stuff? For some reason the mall people thinks it's perfectly fine to give the spots near the children's play area to the vendors selling those hover craft things. You know what I'm talking about, right? Those things that fly and come back (or don't)?

Ok - well I'm usually very good at saying no to the prince when he starts in on those things. I can usually quell his fascination by having him play with the sample one for a few minutes and then we can move along. But this vendor was pure evil. No, the kids couldn't touch it let alone try to fly it. And the he started working the prince over the wall of the play area, with "Santa will bring you one if your mom says no." and "What color do you want? The orange? The blue? Maybe the red?" He just keeps going and going and going and poor prince is getting more and more worked up. I keep interjecting with "We'll see honey" and "Santa only brings one present and you already asked him for what you want." All the while giving Junior Salesman the evil eye.

Finally, I could take his broken hearted look anymore and I bought him one. I am a sucker with the capital S. But oh the joy that stupid thing has brought today. (after, of course, I had to take it back because the remote wasn't staying in the "on" position. Problem solved with a new remote.).

I know, I know. You are all shaking your heads in collective amazement and amusement. And I'm sure more than one person is feeling superior thinking that they will *never ever ever * do something so ridiculous. And to them I say "Good for you." And I also know that even though I could have kicked myself for giving in, it worked out fine and I don't regret it.

So Jen? How'd I do? :)

4 comments:

Catherine said...

I am so glad you are having D home soon. 4 weeks of normal family life, wow! I am taking a week of after christmas, so Robbie will have one Mommy at home full-time for a week. Old, gets further away the older we get. I am 35 and now I have decieded that 50 is old, until I am closer to it. And I am a sucker at malls too, I take after my Mom, who has sent 7 christmas boxes to us, mostly for Robbie.

Jen said...

A real post!! YAY!!! Now I'm off to packof2's blog to demand they post an entry that does not include their kitty (no matter how cute he is!) LOL
We went shopping this morning and Connor suckered us into a ninja turtle after I'd said no like a million times. By the time we left the store, he'd forgotten all about it...so I stuck it in the closet with all the toys he's getting for Christmas!! :)

Kristen said...

My mom's husband is also a sucker for what he calls "those cute little girls" at the mall kiosks. (He has no sense of age, so all women are cute little girls.) Anyway, my mom and I are preparing Audrey to look at him and say "Papa..." with big sad eyes. He already has Sucker written on his head, why not let it benefit my baby?

I'm so glad D will be home with you for FOUR WHOLE WEEKS! Lucky you!

Lois said...

I'm so excited that you get D back for 4 weeks! Woo Hoo!!!

I heard you on the "old" thing. My most recent decision on what age is old is probably somewhere in the 70's. Usually I pay that silly number no mind and go about my business.

I understand how you gave in to the hover thing at the mall, it's so hard! I really think that you should write a letter of complaint to the mall and the company that sells that toy and let them know just how horrible their salesperson was. I'm not sure that I could have kept my composure if someone said, if you don't get it now Santa will bring it to you. That's pure evil and Santa doesn't even come to my house!!!!