Saturday, December 31, 2005

2005 Accomplishments

My good friend Shawna threw a challenge out that I am going to pick up and run with: instead of coming up with New Years Resolutions (which imply things you did wrong and/or failed at during the past year), I am going to list my accomplishments in the hopes that it will spur me to move ever forward.

I successfully gave birth to my beautiful and amazing daughter and made it through her first terrifying day of life.

I recovered from my c-section in record time.

I learned how to handle the demands of a newborn and a 3 year old which often compete head to head.

I survived "trial by fire" when, my first day alone with both kids, a nasty bug (upper and lower GI, thanks. UGH!) hit both kids on the same day. None of D's relatives where in town and I was dealing with it alone since D had exhausted her leave to be home after the baby was born.

I survived, by the skin of my teeth, the worst part of the journey into PPD that, even with medication, rivaled the PPD I experienced (un-medicated) after my son was born. I am still battling it daily but I have not let it win - I consider that a HUGE victory.

I survived the first semester of D being in law school....and....I did better than I feared I would.

I survived potty learning and discovered that I should trust my instincts a heck of a lot more when it comes to my kids.

I began working with digital scrapbooking and re-discovered my long-lost creativity. For the first time in a long, long time I am doing something for myself that fulfills me and helps me feel like more than "just a mom". (Thank you, Shawna!!)

I have actually read 3 entire magazines this year. And no, that isn't a typo. :)

I reached out and made a new friend - who shines light, and tons of laughter, on my life. Because of my new friend, my kids have made three new friends.


And here is my ONE continuing resolution for 2006: reduce the clutter in my house. My goal is, little by little, to clean up the garage and start giving away/selling things the kids have outgrown or that we no longer have a need for. The one thing I have learned from all the clutter though is: We are very blessed and very, very fortunate for all that we have.

Happy New Year to you all!!

3 comments:

Sonya said...

What a wonderful list of accomplishments. You should be beaming with pride.

Happy New Year Casey!

Mommy said...

casey, love this post and you have accomplished so much. your beautiful babies in and of themselves are a great accomplishment. you are a wonderful mom. keep scrapping!!!!
hugs
rae

Laura said...

What a great idea, and so much for you to be proud of!!!!