Monday, March 07, 2011

Back in the Saddle

The Book Fair is over and done and I think it is fair (HA!) to say that we rocked it! We surpassed the last two years totals and earned over $4500 to buy books and teaching materials for the school! I've only been doing book fair for three years now and I know that my first year we surpassed all of the previous years so I'm just going to toot my own horn and say "I freakin' ROCK!" :) What a modest little thing I am. :)

I'm really proud of those of us who stood side by side every single day all week. Jeremy, my true cohort, took the entire week off to be there (Thanks Jeremy!) and the best volunteer we have, Scott, took off four of the five days and even then came in for the evening event to help after working a ten hour day. Now that is some serious dedication.

The week was a good one though on a personal level it also was a bit nutty. The drama went full tilt but I refused to engage in any of the attention seeking tactics that were employed. All I could do was roll my eyes and think to myself "A 12 year old is way more mature." which really only solidified my belief that breaking up was the best thing I could have done for myself...and I wish I had done it cleanly back in November when I really wanted to. No longer will I stay in something to avoid hurting someones feelings because hurting them early or late, it still hurts. I'm not sure why she thinks acting like she is is winning her any points with anyone. I wish she could see what other people are seeing because sadly, it is really quite pathetic. I know she is hurt and I am sorry about that but really? The proof is in the pudding and I wish I had paid attention to the warning bells before I did.

I truly wish her the best but more importantly than that, I hope she finds some mental stability soon. Games won't work on me - or anyone else. Time to move forward without regret. And I don't have regrets beyond I am sorry she is hurting...and that she is hurting other people in the process. And again, the tactics being employed all around only makes me more sure I did the right thing.

The kids are doing great. Kaylen is attending her full days without me there at all. She is handling substitute teachers with relative ease and is really coming into her own. I've had people remark about what an amazing and independent child she is. Now THIS is the child I know! I still do drop off and pick up but I am all too happy to do it while I can. I did the same for Kelton's entire kindergarten year and it is absolutely not an issue with me. I'm happy to do it. And I am beyond thrilled that she is thriving!

Kelton finally has a long term sub in one of his classes (he has two teachers) and is settling down into a nice routine. His regular teacher is having medical issues and has been out most of the year thus far and will remain out for a longer time. The kids were suffering through a different sub every few days until late January and, needless to say, the entire class was out of control. Now there is order and he is back to thriving.

The animals are doing well. Little Zipster is almost 6 months old and tomorrow I will be taking him in to be neutered. He is a little spit fire and I wish we had never brought him home (truth is, there are lots and lots of days I would gladly exchange him for one of several ed hardy ladies' watches) but the kids love him so here he will stay...and I pray he settles down. Dallas and Andi put up with him - grudgingly but Maddie and Zip have a love affair going on. The two of them can play for a long time together which is a good outlet for both boxer and kitten. Jordan is getting very old. He is, from the best I can tell, mostly deaf now and his vision is compromised as well. He still gets around and seems happy enough though I would be happier if he would try harder to get his geriatric butt outside BEFORE he pooped on the floor in the middle of the night.
Sleep is hard won around here. Once up on a time it was the babies and toddlers keeping me awake but now it's a geriatric dog and a ridiculously high energy kitten. Go figure.

As for me - I am doing great. Happy and (relatively) healthy. I'm out in the world enjoying life as often as possible. I am following my heart and finding the sense of peace for which I have been longing. It's all coming together. You know.... except for that pesky job thing...but I even have a good feeling that that is going to pan out soon as well.

I think you are mostly up to date now: book fair success, high drama escapades, kiddo update, crazy animal-land and me...yep...all up to date. Time to go figure out what to feed the young ones for dinner.

What are you still hanging around for? Get back to your life! :)

No comments: