Friday, October 16, 2009

Shake Your Groove Thang

Today I did something new. I attended a Zumba/Yoga class. Let me tell you - it was an experience. If you don't already know what Zumba is here is a quick description:

"It's an exciting hour of calorie-burning, body-energizing, awe-inspiring movements set to a hypnotic Latin rhythm"


An hour is a really, really long time when you are trying like crazy to keep up with steps that you don't know and that move so fast you can barely focus on them. I would say it made me feel old and wishing that I was home instead researching something equally as exciting as say.....the best colon cleanse. But the truth is, I was in a class with 12 people and at least half of them were older than me. We're talking *older* than me....as in grandmotherly. How they managed to keep up is beyond me. One of the older newcomers and I would catch each others eye and make a look of "Are you kidding me?!?!?" Those giggle filled moments are what kept me going.

Kaylen was with me as well but for the Zumba part she was playing with the other kids. I have never before in my entire life wanted her to need me to help her with something. I was trying to send telepathic thoughts to her to pull me from class and give me a break.

No kidding - the songs come right after each other and it's a constant hour of moving and grooving.

After the hour came 30 minutes of yoga. Now that is more my style. Calm, relaxing yoga poses. So much better. Kaylen, my little yoga master who works out to her Kids Yoga DVD often, joined me on my mat and we did the poses together. She is really quite good and I loved how intent she was on getting them right.

I am already feeling the stiffness and soreness. It's almost like a badge of honor though. I did it and I survived.

Will I go back? Probably. But I'm still going to put myself in the very back row. :)

2 comments:

Lynilu said...

Good for you!! I wish there were classes near me. I've been considering getting a dvd of zumba to do at home. It looks like an amazing, fun (and exhausting!!) workout, but since I love, love, love to dance, why not?

As I was cleaning house today, I had the oldies station playing, and I danced my way through the day! I worked up one hellava sweat and still got the work done! I tried to "twist" to at least half since my worst concern right now is my waist.

Unknown said...

Never heard of Zumba. What exactly is it?