Thursday, February 09, 2012

February 9th

Seven years ago today I was shopping at Babies R Us, using gift cards I had received as shower gifts to buy all the last minute items for my baby girl who was due to arrive the next day. I was HUGE! Bigger than I was with I was pregnant with Kelton and so much more uncomfortable. The last month of her pregnancy was a challenge at times.

I couldn't wait to meet my daughter and hold her in my arms.

Last year, on this very date, I almost lost my daughter to a severe allergic reaction to an antibiotic she had started earlier in the day. There were moments in the ER when I wondered if I would have my baby taken from my arms. She was so small and helpless.

I think I've been holding my breath this week a little bit when it came to Kaylen. I have never had an uneventful birthday with this child. Her first birthday she was very, very sick with influenza and, only the month before, had stopped breathing for the first (of many) times.

Her second, third, fourth and fifth birthday were all marked by her being sick - usually including vomiting but always a fever.

So far, so good for this year. Except for a cough she developed this past week. (And now I wonder if I just jinxed it.)

Tomorrow my baby girl turns seven. SEVEN. I find it amazing - considering how many times this child has tried to leave this world (including the day she was born and refused to breath), I am so very, very grateful for tomorrow. Seven trips around the sun. I am such a lucky mommy to have her.

No comments: