Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Oh the Joy of Camping!

We're still camping in the yard. I had planned to put everything away today but the children had another thought: one more night.

What the heck - I wasn't all that thrilled with the daunting task of lugging everything out of the tent and putting it all away. The kids have managed to pull out many, many things to have in there with them - I'm sure if I look hard enough I will probably find a motorcycle jack or two. And besides that I'm sure the grass under the tent is already done. No biggie really because soon enough the fall rains will be here and it will green up again. It's been big fun sleeping outside.

Well......mostly.

Last night, minus the gigantic meltdown that a certain 4 year old had because her "nose was clogged and the medicine is NOT working!", was great. Both kids (and both moms) slept well. After the kids nodded off Dakota and I set up the laptop and watched a movie we had picked up from a Red Box (love those things!) on Saturday. It was "Then She Found Me" which has a star-studded cast. We should have clued in when neither of us could recall hearing anything about it. It was ok - but sooooo slow. After it ended we looked at each other and said "Ok. Ummm....really?" Sure - it was 2 hours we'll never get back but just sitting in the tent watching a movie and listening to the crickets or frogs or whatever they were was really peaceful and nice.

The one big downer to last nights adventure was that Dakota was up before the sun getting ready for work - it definitely wasn't as much fun without her there. Today the weather isn't nealy as nice as yesterday but something tells me we will have just as much fun anyway.

It's just so darn nice to be able to enjoy some summer time family time.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I hear you on the grass thing. I have a big yard so instead of wasting tons of water, I pretty much let it go dormant other than a couple really deep waterings through the summer. Makes for icky grass but it does come back, with a vengence, in the fall.
I also hear the hassle of lugging everything out of the tent...

Unknown said...

If you ever want to venture beyond your backyard with that tent, let me know and we'll schedule a trip :) Love all the pics!