Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Camping and Rain

It's raining cats and dogs right now and you will never guess from where I am writing. Oh wait - if you read the previous post you probably *can* guess. The tent. That's right, the tent.

Are we crazy? Only time will tell for sure but so far it's mostly OK. This is the maiden voyage for the tent in a rain storm and we have noticed a few drops here and there on the rain fly at the seams (the roof of the tent itself it net and then the rain fly goes over). It isn't bad...yet. I figure the rain can't keep up all night, right? I mean - it IS August and all.

The kids went to bed so easily tonight - the sounds of the rain and stories from both moms about times when, as children, we were on vacation and it rained. My stories were all tent camping or backpacking based since that is how my family vacationed and Dakota's were from her family's boat as that is how she vacationed. I love how we have given our kids both sides of vacationing: camping (sure sure - it's in the backyard at this point (Kelton doesn't remember the times when he was under 3 years of age that he went camping) but it's camping to us) and water vacations. Not so much on a boat but at least at the seaside.

Dakota mentioned how much she is enjoying listening to the sounds of the rain from the inside of the tent though she was quick to point out that if we were *really* camping in the woods she would be far from amused. There is comfort to be taken in the fact that if we get wet the warm, dry house is mere feet away. Dry pajamas and dry beds await us if necessary. It does make the adventure of rain camping much more enjoyable. I highly recommend it. :)

And speaking of recommending...I have been noticing that in the magazines I have been reading lately there have been an articles on backyard camping. I find it funny that it is the hip new thing to do when we have been doing it for years now and well....I even did it as a kid.

As children we would pitch our 2-man tents in the backyard and sleep outside many times during a summer. My parents would simply leave the backdoor unlocked and off we'd go. They never slept out there with us but then - times were different. The world a more trusting place perhaps.

The sounds of the rain make me so happy (as you might be able to tell from my ramblings) and stirs up memories of camping in the woods with my family. On rainy days we would hunker down in our tents (I shared a tent with my sister) and work in word search books, read or play cards. I'm sure I am totally romanticizing it now because something tells me it wasn't really all that fun to stay locked in a tent for most of a day with the occasional mad dashes for the outhouse. But still - looking back, it sure makes good memories and fun stories to tell my children. :)

Right now both kids are sleeping, Dakota is reading and I am....well...as if you can't tell...blogging. We made chocolate chip cookies tonight and the kids had their two before bed. We opted to save ours for after they were asleep and we were settled in watching a show on the laptop. It doesn't seem to have worked out that way since there is no way we would be able to hear over the loudness of the rain so here I am - sans chocolate chip cookies because neither one of us wants to brave the rain to make a mad dash into the kitchen to get cookies and milk only to have to make the dash again to take the dishes back in. Hmmm....so being in a tent during the rain keeps us from our usual (and so not good habit) of bedtime snacking. Too bad we can't bottle this because it just might make the best diet pills ever! :)

I wish I could share the sounds of tonight with you. I just love, love, love the sound of rain. I've been known to throw open the door on a rainy night just to listen to thepitter patter. I love the sounds of the rain as it hits the chimney top or one of the vents on the roof. I don't like *having* to be in the rain but I love listening to it and watching it and, on the occasions that the kids talk me into it, I even love rain walks.

And bonus for the rain tonight - Kaylen looked at me and said "Hey Mom! My nose isn't clogged one bit tonight!" Let's hear it for that! No bedtime meltdown!!

Bring on the rain.....just keep it on the outside of the tent, please. :)

4 comments:

Kristen said...

we used to camp out in the backyard all the time as kids too. Just us and a friend or maybe by ourselves.

I'd run through the rain to get the cookies, but certainly NOT to put the dishes away. Looked like plenty of room in that tent for a couple stray cups :)

Julie said...

I love that you guys do that kind of stuff with your kids. What good parents!!

Monogram Queen said...

I am going to have to just pitch our tent in the yard too - it looks like that's the only way i'm going to get to camp this summer!

Kristen said...

its been a while since your last post. Did you get washed away with the rain? Or did that pesky thing called life get in the way?