Friday, July 28, 2006

Did she actually just say that??

Today, while the kids and I were on our way out of the mall, a woman stopped us and, as she was looking at the kids, said; "Do you think she will have that beautiful curly dark hair like he has or...*noticable drop in tone to disapproval* do you think it will stay like that?

WTF?

Come on! Did she serisouly ask me that? Did she really and truly ask me something that sounded that horrible in front of my kids??

What was I supposed to say? "Oh it'll probably stay this ugly." (which is clearly how she thought her hair looked)


For crying out loud!

What did I say? I muttered something to the effect that I think she is beautiful just the way she is. I wish she hadn't caught me so completely off guard.....I could have come up with something clever to put her in her place. Holy crap - does she not realize that children can hear her and that even a 17 month old can understand her and figure out what her tone means? Wow. Talk about rude!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I can't believe someone would be this insensitive! Baby K is beautiful and so is K! WOW! This just blows my mind! Hopefully this just went over the kids heads! I am in shock! I think both of the kids are beautiful and wonderful children!

momtothreeboys said...

Because sometimes people are just plain rude, ignorant and yes, stupid.


Uggg.

Anonymous said...

I think your comeback, while not perhaps as witty as you seemed to have wanted was THE PERFECT ANSWER!
"I think she is beautiful like she is" sent a way more positive message to
Baby K, than something some stranger said. For Mommy to think "I am beautiful, just as I am" has so much more meaning! I wish I could remember a time when my Mom said that about me.

Laura said...

How on earth could she say that about such a beautiful little girl?

I would have told her that K's hair might stay that way or might curl up, but stupidity is forever.

Gandksmom said...

Why do people honestly think they can say such stupid shit? Geez. I am like you though, I always think of the whitty comebacks way after the fact. I will bitch slap her for you though OK?