Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Bees and Dryer Vents

I'm happy to report that the bee nest has been successfully removed from under the house and inside the dryer vent line. Apparently we had two little bee neighborhoods going on down there - eeek! At long last, the worry of bees invading the house is gone.

We have the new dryer vent line installed (and they removed the bee infested one and took it far, far away) and I have to tell you - the excitement I feel each and every time the dryer runs is obscene. I know that when the dryer cycle ends, I will open the dryer to find DRY clothing inside. No longer do I need to run the dryer through 140 minutes (or more) to have a dry load. The time it is saving me is incredible (and I'm sure my power bill will feel the difference as well....but never fear, I'm sure it will be countered with the increase from the new heat pump)! Instead of taking practically all day to run three loads of laundry, I'm now only focusing on it for half the day. What a nice, nice thing.

Had I known it was a clogged vent line, I would have had it replaced a few years back - instead, I just thought the dryer wasn't as efficient as it should have been and/or the vent line was just too long to be of much good for fast drying and/or the size of the loads were just too dang large. Of course, if I wasn't dealing with babies and such, I might have actually thought that it was a vent line issue but my brain just didn't care - I've been all about surviving babyhood over these past 4 years.

At any rate - the bees are gone and my laundry is drying in record time. Life is good. :)

The new heat pump is working out extremely well, too. Friday, which was adoption day (see below if you haven't already), the temperature was reading 107 in our backyard. ONE HUNDRED AND SEVEN DEGREES!!! That is INSANE!!!! The heat pump was a God-send for us. I can't even imagine surviving the last stretch of hot weather without it. I'm so thankful for it...so even though I was cursing our radiant heat system last winter (when it would flip out and heat the house to 95 degrees at random times) I am so thankful that it stopped working. If it hadn't - I wouldn't be sitting in an air conditioned house right now.

All things somehow manage to come together for good, don't they?

1 comment:

Caroline said...

107!!!!!! I know I would probably die if I was in that heat with no a/c. Thank goodness you guys now hae a/c. I didn't realize where you live got this warm. Sounds like this is pretty unusual. Well, hope it cools down for you. Until then, do what we do when it's so hot outside...stay inside,watch lots of good movies and spend lots of time at the pool.