Thursday, February 02, 2006

"Honey, those are NOT radio dials!"

This is sooooo not what you think (gutter minds!) but this *may* be too much info (TMI) for some people (like my sister) so consider yourself warned. If you are easily embarrassed, just go ahead and click out of here. That said, I know that *everyone* will keep reading because curiosity is human nature. :)

My daughter nurses...it's practically her favorite thing to do but lately she has been mistaking me for her blanket or her stuffed puppy. Yes, it's true - *I* have become her lovie object. Not just any part of me, mind you - oh no, that would be too simple. It's my nipples that she must have between her fingers while she falls asleep. Can you say OUCH!!?? I sure can.

It's been going on for weeks now and yes, I've tried substituting items but she wants no part of that. I've tried "No, honey." and pulling my shirt back down but that is met with wails like you would not believe....and that just isn't worth the trauma or the lost sleep.

So our routine goes something like this:
She nurses and while she is drinking from one side, she has the other side in her grasp. And if my shirt isn't up, no problem, she can do that all by herself. Then we switch sides and when she is done, she snuggles in super duper tight to me, her head on my bare chest and my nipple trapped between her fingers. And she twists and rubs. Babies do not know their own strength. Say it with me now.......OUCH!!!

And yet this is a precious, fleeting time in our relationship and I love every second of her wanting to be with me (I wouldn't mind if she transferred to love to her puppy though). Soon enough - she'll be grown....and this story will be waiting in the wings to embarrass the heck out of her. :)

2 comments:

Sonya said...

I'll say it with you... OUCH!

Catherine said...

Casey, I am laughing because I have been there. Robbie use to do that all the time, now it is only occasional and I stop nursing and tell him if he continues I will call his Mom to Rock him with the bottle, then I pretend to call her and he gets down to business without pinching. But, if either of us happen to walk past him naked watch out, he screams "boob" and grabs a nipple as hard as he can.