Monday, October 31, 2011

Confession Time

It's Halloween!




The pumpkins are carved, the costumes at the ready. The house is festive and the candy basket is full to overflowing. I'm ready. Well....as ready as I will ever be because I have a confession: I HATE Halloween.

Yes. You read that right. Hate it. With a passion.


All of it. The decorations, which I would have been all too happy to skip this year had it not been for my Halloween loving children. The massive amounts of sugar that my children consume for weeks. The teenagers who come knocking at the door, even after the porch light goes out. The traipsing around the neighborhood and over to the kid's grandmother's house. Though honestly? I do like that part. I enjoy visiting with Dakota's mom. I miss her. But the rest of it? I could easily do without.

It's days like this that makes me envious of Travel Jobs that would get me out of all the festivities.

As an adult, I have never enjoyed dressing up and can count on two fingers how many times I have. Sure, the kids are adorable....or gruesome, depending on the costume of choice. This year I have a mermaid and Harry Potter. At least they are cute. And I do enjoy their excitement....you know, until it exceeds epic proportions. After that point, I'm ready to stick us all in our beds, pull the covers up tight and wait until the day passes into the next.

November 1st, as it does every year, will find me happily putting away the ghosts and goblin decorations. Thanksgiving is the same for me. I'd just as soon skip it. And this year? So far, I'm not even excited for Christmas. Right now it feels like a daunting undertaking. I have two things tucked away so far. I need to get moving but find I just can't.

Personally, I can't believe tomorrow is November 1st. The leaves on the ground, and falling in a rapid pace, scream that we are deep into autumn. I just can't believe it's this time of year already. Halloween heralds the holiday season. From today on, it's a fast slide into Christmas. Maybe that's why I don't like it. I'm never ready to face the stress and craziness of the holiday season. Who planned this calendar we have? Why the need to scrunch three major events into a 7 week window? I mean seriously...wouldn't trick or treating be more fun if you could actually SEE the costumes instead of coats, rain jackets, umbrella's or...as is evidenced on the East Coast right now, snow suits? All in favor of moving Halloween to mid-summer, raise your hand! :)


Not that anyone asked me.....so Iwill stop grumbling, plaster a smile to my face and say:


Happy Halloween!! (and wish like crazy I was still at the beach......)

No comments: