Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Well Child Visits

We took the kids in for their Well Child Visits today (yes, I know. Kaylen turned 4 in February and Kelton turned 7 in April but I always wait until *after* flu season to take them in. It's just not worth the risk in February, that's for sure.) and I am thrilled to report they are healthy and sound.

Not that I doubted it.

Kelton's weight and height have been tracked very carefully since December and, through we've had a few low weights, he has averaged out to about the 75th percentile. His doctor is happy with just letting it go and backing off weigh ins and the insane amount of focus it has been for us. She wants us to weigh him every now and again and keep a general eye on him for changes indicating he might be losing again. And, if so, back in he goes. Otherwise she is going to assume it was just his body "resetting" from not all that active as a preschooler to an incredibly active 1st grader.

His prolapse, since it has not gotten any worse, and in fact is sometimes not bad at all, is just a wait and see game. Unless it gets worse, no worries at this point. Just keep up the Miralax.

He didn't need any immunizations and, except for flu shots, won't need any more until he is 11. You should have seem the smiles from him!

Kaylen, for her part, is doing very well. I was hit with a surprise though when the doctor listened to her heart. I suddenly heard "Go ahead and take a big break and puff out your cheeks." My heart dropped. I knew what she had heard. The murmur. The very same murmur (well...one of them) that she developed when she was around 11 months old when she had been very sick. The one that sent us on a bit of a roller coaster with a pediatric cardiologist for an EKG (abnormal) and an ECHO (normal) back when she was a year old.

I wouldn't have been surprised if I hadn't been told at her 2 year visit, and again at her 3 year visit, that the murmurs were gone. Apparently, only one can be heard now - and it's all ok. It was just surprising and made me realize yet again that I am glad I switched doctors back in December.

Other than that though - the appointment was uneventful. Poor little girl had to get 4 immunizations though which is a bitter pill to swallow. Kaylen, being the trooper than she is didn't make a peep. Ever since she was about 1, she has been very good about getting shots and has never cried. It's almost eerie how calm she stays but I could tell the 4th poke was very close to sending her over the edge.

When it was time to get stickers, she very politely said "Can I have two because I did have to go through all that trouble." Both the nurse and doctor got a little giggle out of that one. :)

She let me take a picture of her arms but she did not want her face in the photo. So there. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Owwwwwwww!