Monday, May 18, 2009

Oceans of Fun: Part 1

Sorry for the delay in getting back here. I haven't been motivated at all and have spent a lot of time just hanging out in the backyard reading while the kids played in the pool. I think I am still pretending to be at the beach instead of back to reality.

It was a great week. A really great week (well - minus the usual kid meltdowns and a night of puking for the daughter) and I sure wish it wasn't over. It's been 9 long months since we had gotten away to the beach and, in my book, that's 9 months too long.

We left Friday, May 8th, around 5pm and drove straight through to Garibaldi, Oregon (well - we did stop at Dairy Queen to pick up dinner to eat in the car) were we had rented a house for five days. The house is owned by someone who works on the same hospital campus where Dakota works and she graciously rents it to fellow employees for an amazing rate. It isn't on the water but the location was perfect for what we wanted to do (which was travel in both directions up and down the coast) so while it isn't our favorite area of the coast, per se, it worked perfectly for us.

We arrived around 8pm and set about exploring the house and settling in. Bedtime arrived shortly thereafter for the kids and not long after for us.

The morning arrived bright and beautiful and we quickly headed out into Tillamook to find a place for breakfast. Kaylen, our beach babe, was very eager to find a beach to play on so after we ate we started looking for a good beach. Through a comedy of errors (though maybe not so much as it turned out well) we ended up at Cape Meare Lighthouse. The views were spectacular!





This next set is funny because Dakota and I have a joke about how she moves through life much like someone skipping in the field of daisies, blissfully unaware that danger is lurking and that my job in life is to be on the (ever constant) look out for the dangers so that they can be avoided.
It's sort of like the old "Every relationship has a gardener and a flower" line of thinking. She is the flower and I am the garden tender working hard to make sure the flower blooms and shines. A relationship that goes hand in hand. So - while Dakota skips happily, I'm the one watching for the rattlesnakes who threaten to jump up and bite. Like I said, it's just our little joke. :)
And in this one, Kelton joins in the fun. :)





See that beach waaaaaaaaay down there? Remember it for later. :)


After leaving the lighthouse we headed back out in search of the perfect beach. We wound our way down the roadway and finally end up at the beach that can be seen from the lighthouse (see photo above). And it was perfect! A few other people enjoying the beautiful early afternoon but basically uncrowded.

We had a great time!








After leaving the beach we drove back into town and stopped to pick up groceries and a few plants to add to the garden at the house (it is a tradition that the owner of the house has and we were happy to do our part).




Once the groceries were put away and the plants planted there were still hours left in the day so we decided to drive the hour into Seaside, which is the beach/town where we usually go. The drive was easy and before long we were walking in and out of the shops we know by heart, stopping at the arcade to play some games, riding pedal cars, the train and the carousel. We even ate dinner at our favorite place. YUM!











After a very full day, we headed back to the house. Within 90 minutes of leaving Seaside, the kids were snuggled into bed and dreaming of all that tomorrow would hold.

Next up: Mother's Day and a trip to Lincoln City and the Oregon Aquarium in Newport.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

YUM, Pig N Pancake!!!! Beautiful pictures.

I get the whole flower/garden tender thing. I am definately the flower...completely oblivious!

LOVE the pictures, beach pictures are so beautiful! Thanks for posting them! Cant wait to see more. Jeri

Caroline said...

Looks like you guys had a great time and I love the pictures.

I can't wait to read the next part.

Kristen said...

Wow, there are even pictures of you in there! Impressive.

:)

A Jersey Girl said...

Great Pictures! Looks like a wonderful start to the vacation!

Emily

Jen said...

Ahhh... it's relaxing just reading about it. So glad you had a good time!

Froggymama said...

Great pictures. So glad you were able to get away for a while. And I hear ya, I'm the gardener too.

While the fam skips through daisies, I scoop the cat box and swiffer under the sofa.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Your family makes me smile! I also play the role of the gardener. My husband has not a worry in him. It bothers me sometimes!! But we do go hand in hand!

Heidi

Dakota said...

It's good to be me.

It's fun to be a flower.

Why worry? (I know, I know, because there are hidden dangers that I should be aware of at all times....)

Casey is a great gardener!