Monday, January 21, 2013

Guitars and All That Jazz

Jazz.  Guitars.  Not really two things that go together I suppose. Right?  I mean...maybe they do but I don't think so.  When I think jazz, I think saxophone.  When I think guitars I think folk music, camp fire camp, and  D'Addario guitar strings

There is something soothing about both types of music, mind you.  I like jazz at certain times and in certain places but overall, I love guitar music.  Though I must say, my favorite in the instrumental field is piano.  I've been listening to George Winston a lot lately.  It started early in December when I was baking.  I turned on Pandora and plugged in George Winston's December and for hour upon hour I baked and listened to the soothing sounds of the piano.

I used to play the guitar.  Not awesomely, mind you, but passable for camp.  I wish I had stuck with it.  Just like I wish I had stuck with the flute and the piano.  My inability to make heads or tails of music did me in.  The guitar, for me, with camp songs, was easier because I just had to write the name of the note above whatever word I needed to do a chord change on and presto!  I could play.  Of course, that worked with the flute and the piano, too.  Until the day came when my instructors said I could no longer use that method.

I wonder where I would be if I had been allowed to continue writing in the notes.

Carnegie Hall?  Highly doubtful but still - it would be nice to be able to play an instrument well.

No comments: