Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A Mixed CD?

Tonight, while D was playing with the kids, I jumped into the new car to go run a couple of errands and there, in the cd changer, was a mixed cd. You know the kind....a mix-n-match selection of music which is usually put together for one's own enjoyment or to give as a gift to someone you like (ie: crush, affair, etc).

Call it a hunch but I knew that D did not create this cd for herself. Which left the burning question "Who the heck gave her a mixed cd????"

I skipped through the first few songs, pausing long enough only to figure out what song it was. I started feeling woozy. This is *not* the music I would expect to find in the cd player. Ugh.

So I did was any semi-reasonable woozy person would do. I finished my transaction at the post office and I called her cell phone to inquire.

K picked up. I asked for mom. He took the phone to her and after she said "Hello?" I said "Umm....who gave you a mixed cd?" She started the laugh. I was confused.

"Rick." came the answer. Apparently she told her co-worker buddy that the new car has MP3 capabilities and he gave her a cd of music to try out in the car.

Ahhhhhhhh! Ok - that explains a lot. She also went on to say "I skipped through the first 20 songs...it isn't exactly the stuff I like. He listens to some great music at work so I thought that's what would be on it but it's not. I briefly thought about you finding it in the car and what you might think." My girl knows me well.

I felt the wooziness clear. The green-eyed monster receded into the background. I felt so much better.

Mixed cd's (or mixed tapes as my generation called them) set off alarms in my head. It takes me back to high school and slightly beyond. Do people even make mixed cd's for other people anymore? It's just so darn cheesy.

I mean - I'd gladly be on the receiving end of one from D (and only her) but then, I am a product of my generation. I know what they mean; "Here. Listen to these songs. They make me think of you (or of our illicit affair)."

It's probably what they still mean. I just don't want anyone giving D a mixed cd. Well - Rick can. But no one else better.

:)

6 comments:

Casey said...

Thanks for asking - yes, the HF&M is eradicated from our house. Thank goodness.

Baby K is back to her happy go-lucky self and I couldnt' be more thrilled to have her that way.

She has one left over from being sick though that is bound to drive me nutty; she wants to spend the day playing in the kitchen sink with the water running. LOL! We would pop her into a sink full of water after she threw up the first day and then for a few days after that because it would ease her crankiness. Now, however, she feels she should be in the sink any ol' time she wants. I'm good with once a day (it's great to have her right there, happily playing, while I clean the kitchen) but she begs for it all day long. Ugh.

But still....a healthy waterloving baby is better than a sick one. I'll deal. :)

Thanks again for asking after her. I appreciate it.

Caroline said...

Glad everything worked out and it was all innocent. I LOVE "mixes" and I literally spent 1/2 my teenage years making them. I always get a chuckle when I listen to them now. Some of the songs that I liked back then..it's just sad.

I read on Dakota's blog that you guys are going to Disney this Sat. for your second trip. How lucky are you guys.

Casey said...

Very. We are very, very lucky! :)

Gandksmom said...

Too funny! What songs were on there? Just curious!

Casey said...

I actually don't know...but I can remember one of them "When I'm 64" or whatever it is actually called.

I can't remember the others - the music was not my genre of choice. :)

Tanya said...

Lol, the other day R was looking for an an old pay stub. A bit later I get a message on my VM "who the hell is Kris and why do you have this letter about her leaving?" I started laughing and called back to explain that it was a short story and to look at the date on the bottom (4/98 I think). I heard a big sigh of relief on the other end. Then I got really embarrassed because I don't ususally let people read my stuff and R says "you had me convinced." Does that mean it was pretty good?